Impact of change in Flight Time/Rest reg on pilot staffing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dirkdigler

What do you all think how much the change in flight time/rest reg will have an impact on pilot staffing at airlines? (How much, why, counter arguments, etc.)

I predict the quick recall of all major airline furloughs and probably hiring at all the majors by August. The next round of furloughs will follow in October or November, retirement age will change to 70.

In all seriousness, has anything been announced that we can use in order to predict? Until I hear some numbers (rest requirements, duty time limits, etc.) it would just be a WAG

In all seriousness, has anything been announced that we can use in order to predict? Until I hear some numbers (rest requirements, duty time limits, etc.) it would just be a WAG

Indeed. I am keenly interested in what FAA will publish on NPRM and as the eventual final version not only as a staffing issue but also as a safety issue, as we all know how rediculous it has been...

IF the new flight, duty & rest rules will require increased staffing, I guarantee the FAA will allow the airlines to phase in the rules over a period of time that is favorable to them. (think years not months)

It will not effect airlines that have trip and duty rigs like DAL, it will kill the regionals as their costs per block hr will go way up.

I also expect to see hiring.

Latest resources

Back