• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

I'm sure this has been asked...

PhatAJ2008

Total Time
little
I am sure this has been asked but why was sully still taking on the radio and trying to start the APU while still flying?

Pervis

Total Time
12000+
I am sure this has been asked but why was sully still taking on the radio and trying to start the APU while still flying?

The PF usually does the RT while the PNF runs the checklist in most multipilot cockpits during emer ops. Not familiar with the Bus, but one APU start switch doesn't take too much effort while hand flying and the PNF is Aholes and elbows trying to get a starter assisted relight.

Starting the APU is as simple as pushing two buttons and you can do them both right away. Also, starting the APU is not part of the ECAM procedure and would not be a step in the emergency procedure until they got in the paper checklists. The french assumed that the airplane would be flown all the time with the APU running.

Chairman

Total Time
11000+
With 15,000 hours and having been a former airways captain I figure he had more than an idea what was going on and what the plan was.

Pocono Pilot

flower child
Total Time
With 15,000 hours and having been a former airways captain I figure he had more than an idea what was going on and what the plan was.

Oh, look at the big man here!

Over 15,000 hours. Can I kiss your boots? LOL

Golden Falcon

Total Time
21000+
The f.o.'s panel would have been rather blank for most of the time anyway until (if it happened) the one engine begain to recover

Minimaniac

Benevolent Dictator
Total Time
So it is a problem that the captain, when faced with an emergency situation and extreme time constraints, does more then just one set of duties? This is life and death, man. I hope you are able to think outside the box of SOP if you ever find yourself in such a situation.

Colonel Savage

Southern style...
Total Time
NoTime

Sounds like it quickly turned into a one man show. haha

Last edited:

Lear70

JAFFO
Total Time
4abeer
I'd have done the same thing, we actually practiced for this in the sim after the 3701 accident.

Company procedures, "I have the aircraft, I have the radios, memory items for for ____", the PNF accomplishes the memory items, then the PF directs him to grab the QRH. In the meantime, on a dual engine failure, if you're within the APU start envelope, reach up and flip the stupid thing on. It's one or two switches in almost every airplane, and the QRH is going to send the PNF there in a minute or two anyway, get some bleed air going and a full electrical source ASAP.

Makes total sense to me, it's just the flow of how things work in an emergency.

p.s. Pocono, welcome back. You single again? I've got a friend who says he likes sarcastic, passive-aggressive women and needs a sugar momma. Figured if you had someone else to browbeat, maybe we wouldn't have to hear it here... Just asking. ;)

flynryan15

Total Time
2000+
Proving once again..."Reading is fundamental".

Pilots are, without question, the largest group of illiterates I have ever had the misfortune of being associated ( and being forced to drink a lot of beer ) with.

YKMKR

your story was believable until you threw forced in there!!! :beer:

Mud Eagle

Aviator
Total Time
Oh my god! He talked on the radio at the same time as he flew?!

Super-Sully! I bet he can walk and talk on a cell phone at the same time, too.

B6Busdriver

pushbutton pusher
Total Time
>1
Oh my god! He talked on the radio at the same time as he flew?!

Super-Sully! I bet he can walk and talk on a cell phone at the same time, too.

In his defense this scenario would have gone something like this after the birdstrike:
Sully: I have control
FO: You have control ECAM actions

While running the ECAM (lower center screen where emergency checklist would come up) the PF would answer the radios. Normally the FO would continue to fly but this is one of those special scenarios where judgement comes into play. As Sully said there was a tremendous loss of energy so something had to be done ASAP. I have flown the bus at 2 different airlines and both used the above procedure.