Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyf15

Well, I have to vent.

What is up with "I'm Standard"? I'm a CRJ FO at a large regional.... I'd say almost every single time, part of the initial briefing I get from my captain is "I'm standard," "I run everything by the book," or something of the like. Then, they proceed to make up callouts, exceed limitations, fly their own profiles, and occasionally scare the crap out of me.

Don't say you're standard unless you are. Even if you are, you don't need to say it. I expect you to be standard and you expect me to be standard. If you are or are not, I'll find out pretty quickly.

Alright, done venting. Thanks.

That's just like the guy who says, "I'm really laid back" in their brief. Actually, if you were laid back you would feel the need to say it. I know I'm in trouble when I hear this and the standard comment. It's gonna be a long trip!

I have never flown with a captain who flies standard when the first part of the briefing includes that term.

Good points. But the captains are trying to tell you that they would like you to at least try to do things in a standard manner. They probably also say something along the lines of, "let me know if I'm not doing something standard," so feel free to speak up if that's the case. You do speak up, don't you? That's actually your number one priority.

Besides, how would it sound if they said, "I know everyone says 'I'm standard' around here, but that's BS, so feel free to make stuff up as you see fit."? Probably not a good idea for CRM.

How about, "Fly the plane the way you want." You get Captains who are very standard to the ones after the autopilot comes on their breaking out the paper/book. It's up to you to say something.

the ones after the autopilot comes on their breaking out the paper/book.

That's actually allowed at some companies. I'd be annoyed if someone told me I could not read in cruise flight, regardless of company policy.

I'd say almost every single time, part of the initial briefing I get from my captain is "I'm standard," "I run everything by the book," or something of the like. Then, they proceed to make up callouts, exceed limitations, fly their own profiles, and occasionally scare the crap out of me.

Capt saying he/she is "standard" then they are not.......I would say this is pretty "standard" :D

How about the ones that say they've been on the plane for 7 years, so they can offer you some pointers? I start gritting my teeth when they start telling me how to fly the plane the way they fly it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back