Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
P-F-T as BOHICA

SDdriver said:
ut you don't see PFT as a major CANCER in this industry . . . . [W]hy should a company ever pay a decent wage when they can be paid by people that PFT . . . .
(emphasis added)

Excellent point. P-F-T very much turns on the issue of respect. You cannot expect an employer treat you with respect when it sees that you will stoop to buying a job.

That connects to the pay issue. It doesn't matter what you do for work. I've worked in three different businesses. In each the people who were paid the least were shown the least respect by the employer. Those who either refused to work for low wages or left for better wages were accorded greater respect.

Remember this thread from about ten days ago that was started by a wife of a furloughed pilot? She did not understand why pilots are oftentimes not paid well and also why pilots are willing to accept low pay. I realize that it's a Catch-22 - you need the job and/or the opportunity. The commuters know that - that's how they get away with $14K annual pay for new FOs. Just the same, there are situations where the majority is undercut by a minority who will accept or condone various forms of BOHICA. P-F-T, in my $0.02 opinion is one highly noxious form of BOHICA.

Once more, all we can do is try to educate. Sadly, there are those who have P-F-T and those who will.

Last edited:
Couple of quick points: I don't think the guys at SouthWest are "spineless wonders" because they paid for their type. Second, "Respect" in this setting is irrelevant. This is simply a logical, efficient, mathematical business decision based upon capitalistic supply and demand.

Maybe the difference in perspective is that being a pilot is a dream, and end unto itself, for some - while for others it is simply a job, and a means to an end.

Last edited:

Didn't we already go over this? The 73type, well that is kinda like THEIRS FOREVER, and they can go to any operator with a 737 and qualify. Not really PFT.

REspect has everything to do with it. Respect for your fellow pilot. Hey what are you going to think if your company tells you they are going to upgrade you to CAptain on the 328, but you have to pay them 15k for it, I ,mean since everyone else is doing it why not us to hu? What would you say then 46driver? All that work as an FO, just to have to pay 15k to be Captain? Oh god I have to get out of this thread or I think there is gonna be a homicide soon..

See ya guys, keep it right side up alright.

SD

P.S. It WAS my dream also, but you know some of us have a FAMILY to SUPPORT.

BTW 46driver,

DOn't take my post the wrong way, I am not trying to insult you or anything, not trying to be mean in any way either, just making the point that if things keep going like they are going then even Captains are going to have to PFT to be able to fly. One more thing, a PFT guy is not looked at as a pilot, he is looked at as a paycheck. As far as resepct and good treatment goes, do you think they are going to treat a PFT guy in a good way? Hell no, they will try to treat him as poorly as possible so he will leave and they can get another check. I am sorry, that is just plain wrong. REmember dude, it is a job, not something you just do for fun, if that is the case go rent or buy a plane and do whatever you want, but when you are hauling paying passengers or freight, it is a job. It was always my dream, but my days of paying for flying ENDED when I got my commercial ticket. Then I thought, WOW I am going to be able to live my dream and get paid also, now that is not the case. Now we are back to stareing at the hobbs meter thinking GOSH how am I going to pay for this. No thanks man..Come on 46driver, I really don't think you believe that PFT is just because we have a bad economy. If nobody PFT'd then guess what, they would HAVE TO PAY. It just doesn't get any more simple than that. Economy or not, DON"T PAY AND THEY WILL PAY.
Take care..

SD

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back