• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I'm drowning in new rateings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I think I can safely say that those of us reading your posts can tell you have many positive traits that make you a good student. The majority of the posts have addressed YOU & YOUR reaction to the sitution, as well they should.

I would like to add that one of YOUR responsibilities is to communicate with your instructor. I'd sit down with him for a frank "one on one." I'd say something like, "I really appreciate that you hold me to higher standards & I feel that is making me a better pilot. However, your style and/or approach is a bit much and even intimidating to the point that I find I am often dreading my flights with you. I would like to ask if you are willing to 'curb' your style to accomodate me while I acclimate to the 141 environment." Keep in mind that your instructor has recieved many frank critiques in his career and he shouldn't have a rough time hearing your honest feelings of how his teaching affects you. It is a known fact that the feelings you're expressing actually inhibit the learning process. Whatever progress you are experiencing would be further accelerated if your instructor will create a 'friendlier' environment for you. A good instructor will be able to customize his/her techniques to fit the student. If he cannot handle an honest request like I have mentioned, I believe I would be requesting a different instructor with a bit more patience.

Keep us posted. Most all of us have confronted similar situations and are interested to see what works for YOU.

L8R

i think you so much for those comments...i have finally decided to sit down and have a one on one with my instructor...there is a protocol...after i talked to him i'm supose to talk to my advisor,it happens that he is my advisor...next i go to my chief flight instructor...then the head of the department...he is still very inpatience with things that are new to me...

change might be best for me..but anyway today was 9/11 did you guys remember what you were doing a year ago...i finally heard some of the tapes today of the flight...pretty hairly to listen to oh well some food for thought...thanks guys talk to ya later on

Instructor-student relations

Excellent post from need2AV8. I had a similar situation at one time.

I might have lost a job because of the relationship I had with my instructor. I was hired by IASCO several years ago to teach JAL students. It was a gig about which senior instructors dream. State-of-the-art facilities, great equipment, a chance to instruct in Kingairs, great money and a great place in which to live.

The long and short of it for some reason my instructor and I did not hit it off. This guy was an ex-AF IP and had a 737 type. I met the guy at my interview when he gave me a sim ride which I did not expect, and I think he felt I did not belong at IASCO. I remember the first time I flew with him I executed a stall and he snarled at me!! I did not care for his tone because at that point I had been flying for ten years, had more than 4000 hours and more than 3000 hours instructing. I had been successful as a flight instructor in two good 141 programs. I feel that first flight set the tone for the rest of my time at IASCO. It set up a barrier. I tried as hard as I could to please the guy, but, somehow I must have antagonized him.

It would have done me no good to request an instructor change because this instructor was regarded as "the man." It would have killed me politically as a new-hire. But, as the Chief Instructor was showing me the door, he mentioned in passing that perhaps I should have had an instructor change. A friend with more experience in the business than me said that at that point I should have marched myself upstairs to the boss. Perhaps - but I figured he would have backed up the Chief Instructor and my "instructor."

Once again, most instructors are devoted to seeing their students excel. My instructor once told me the instructor-student relationship is an intense one-on-one relationship. As was stated above, you have to hold up your end of the bargain. Give it your best shot. Ask for an instructor change only as a last resort and keep politics in mind. You may want a job at that school one day and you may not be remembered kindly for the instructor change, especially if that instructor has a good reputation.

PS-I was in my office starting to work as 911 began. It is still so very hard to believe. May G-d give us strength to overcome the spineless vermin who seek to defile us.

Last edited:
Amen bobbysamd...Amen...at a point in time all of us need someone to look towards to for strenth...i'm just thankful i have so many....

Latest resources

Back