• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I'm drowning in new rateings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I started off in a similiar way. I got my private at a relatively small uncontrolled airport. Then went to a 141 school for everything else. I remember feeling how you feel. Overwhelmed by a whole new system. ATC, new aircraft, different attitude, etc. In just a few days things started to fall into place. I think starting out at the small airport really helped in the end because it let me really concentrate on the basics of flying rather than worrying about ATC. Then when I had a little more experience, I became even more familiar with the structured program. My instructor was tough too. But I think I learned more because of it.
You're on the right track. Don't get discouraged.

I have been there too.
I got my private in a small little airport, then moved on to a big 141 school. I had to go through a "standardization" class, in which basically I redid my private to their mold. To tell you the truth, I don't know how I got my private in the first place. It seemed like I knew nothing about flying. But I stuck through it. Unlike a lot of people who just quit and continued their flying at 61 schools, I took it as a challenge, and ussually put a request for the "hard" instructors. It was a tough time, but I feel it was definately worth it. Now I teach at a little airport, but hold my students to the standards of 141 schools. I really push them hard, especially the ones with an aviation carreer aspiration.

Good luck!
Marta

Tough love

Good post.

So many students expect to be spoon-fed and coddled, and their instructors to be their buddies. Instructors should always strive to have a friendly relationship with their students, but anything closer to arm's length erodes the instructor-student relationship and the instructor's authority. Students don't understand that when their instructors demand performance their instructors are really doing them a favor. Moreover, although students will say otherwise, in reality they lose respect for their instructor if he/she lets them be his/her pal.

Keep up the good work.

man today it seemed like i couldn't do much right...we stayed in the pattern and did touch and go's all day...i'm still kindof stressed out about things...i really don't know if i can take the pressure much longer of this guy that i have teaching me how to fly...he is makeing me better but its like no matter what u can bet i'm gonna get slammed for something i do or didn't do...

maybe its just me maybe he is tired of a screw up doing stuff wrong...i'm hanging in here but its one hell of a learning curve that i'm going through...

the only question i have now is...will i ever stop being yelled at...i'm really fustrated with knowing that no matter what i do i'm gonna proably get a reprimand i dunno...I WILL NOT GIVE UP...

As good as it is having a tough instructor, one that makes you dread the time you have to fly is not a good instructor. Yes they do teach a lot, but think how much more you could learn if each time you had a flight, you actually looked forward to it. Better yet, if you did the maneuver right because you wanted to do it for yourself, not so your instructor wouldn't yell at you.
I think you should consider changing instructors. Flying is fun, and it is your instructor's job to make it so.

Cheer up.

man thanks alot i need encoragement from you guys...i'm seriously thinking about the whole changeing instructor...i will be patient as long as my nerves hold out...but i don't know how long it will last

like i said thanks alot guys for helping me out and trying to cheer me up...i pray that after a few weeks i'll be back to my ole self of can't waiting to get to the airport go up and fly and be free and feel good about myself...thanks guys C-ya

who writes the check?

I'm just now working on my commercial with the intention of continuing on for CFI and all that so these remarks are without the benefit of having walked a mile in an instructor's moccasins. That being said, why are you paying to be jerked around by some d$$$head?

In the military I've had plenty of flamers and had to put up with them because the Navy was paying me to learn to fly and there's that whole rank thing. But as a civilian student - one with the benefit of having had literally dozens of instructors over the years - I would no sooner write a check to some self-important dork who took the fun out of flying than take my sister up without a barf bag. You write the check, you're the customer, the instructor works for you. Tell the instructor (or the school) if they want to stay in your employ they need to get you with an instructor whose style permits you to learn from rather than fear dual received.

5280high

Don't sweat it. Like 1900capt said, its sounds like one of those days. The tougher the instructor is the more nervous you are going to get not to mention intimidated.

You will be just fine. You have just started so just hang in there. You will get used to your instructor, and realize something, that toughness is a good thing. Train hard, and don't forget to enjoy it. Training can be very fun. Learning new things etc.

Just hang in there. If all else fails just go to your instructors office and formely meet, and have a little chat, get to know each other a little better, that should ease some tension. It helps if you think of the instructor as a friend as well as an instructor. If you can joke around with the instructor (I don't mean doing zero G push overs when he or she is not expecting it, and things like that), instead of worrying about making tiny mistakes, the training will go more smoothly. Also mistakes are going to happen, accepting it is the first step, thats one reason why people do training.

Have a great one, and relax,
J.

How does your CFI treat you when you do well? I tend to be a 'tough' CFI with high standards and I get a little sharp when students routinely make the same mistake. However, when they do something well, I try to make them feel like the best pilot on Earth. Every critique must be balanced to be effective. Yelling is NEVER acceptable. Is it truly yelling or just a little gruffness?

Is he giving you things to go home and ponder every night? Are you doing it? Is he demonstrating the maneuvers you're having trouble with? A picture is worth a thousand words. This is why backseating is so valuable...free flight instruction. Take some time to do this, even if it means slowing your own flying down.

Flight instructors learn most of what they know by watching the same successes and mistakes over and over again. The same principle applies to backseaters on a smaller scale.

If he makes you uncomfortable on a routine basis, fly a few times with other CFI's and see what you think. Some students love having a tough instructor. Some need a little more of a confidence builder. This sounds like what you need, at least right now, while you make the adjustment. A really good CFI can read his students and play either role.

Above all, hang in there and work hard. I've not yet met anyone who can't succeed in flight training if they put the time in. I have met dozens who don't put the time in and blame everyone else for their failures. Don't become one of these. Some students must put in 12 hrs a day to succeed in a rigorous program. You should spend at least 4 hrs prepping for a 2 hr flight, IMO. Think about what you have to do, read everything you can find, talk to other students and CFI's, fly your sim at home to polish procedures, etc, etc. Make sure you get that pre and post flight brief.

Good luck!!

the guy has never yelled at me but he get sarcastist and i can tell that he is gettin pissed...i'll go through some things with you guys about what happens and i want you to tell me what you think...

ok first day i was brand new to the 141 school here and also to the plane...i start up and get ready to go everything is fine he runs through systems with me and shows me how the radios work and so on...i have alot of problems starting off tryin to taxi the plane its a tiger and to be honest day three and i'm still not that good at it...everything the guy trys to tell me i try and accknowlge what he says...unfortantly i cut him off sometimes in the process...he then told me that i should just tell him what he said...like he says turn to 360 i'm like 360...i dont' say anything now unless he asks me something...

unless i have a question but when i ask him he gives me this fustrated answer...so i really don't talk that much in the cockpit now. day two i call up for a radio check the guy at the fbo answers me and i say roger thanks alot...he tells me that im' throwing roger around very loosely and that its gettin old...i'm like ok i remeber reading somewere were the far's said that roger isn't supose to be use for a yes or no affrimtive and negative are the words...

now when the guy tells me to do something i nod my head and dont' say a word i'm really affraid to...and like JBHewlett said the interns makes my flying go to crud...when the flight is done he always tells me things i did good and thens i need to improve
on...after the flight it seems like he is a totally diff person..thats why i think he is a good instructor b/c he trys to better me...but it can't be good not to be able to carry on a comfortable converstion with you instructor...

well i'm tired i gotta get some sleep...thanks for the support guys

Latest resources

Back