Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yip,

But the good times in college all involve "Women's Studies."

If a prospective pilots just loves flying airplanes, and would be happy making $70-$100K per year with no debt from college loans, a college degree is not necessary.

No, just in debt from flight loans...and making 70 grand isn't something likely to happen, especially for the non-grad, for 10-15 years at a minimum. I can tell you right now...it still hasn't happened for me, and it's been a lot longer than that.

Again, given your multiple degrees...who are you to talk on this subject. As the holder of a master's degree, you're not qualified.

Not everyone that has a college degree is smart and there are people with no college degree that are smarter than average.

I fully agree with this. My sister-in-law has her Doctorate and she's the biggest moron you could ever hope to meet. Couldn't find Iraq on a map if her shallow life depended on it, but she can sure tell you where the nearest mall is!

As far as the college thing goes. When the economy is hot and the airlines are struggling to fill classes the college degree is the first thing to go. When the economy is not so hot and applicants are a dime a dozen the degree suddenly becomes very important.

how would having more education not make you smater? i think those who have gone and completed a degree are on average smarter than those who did not. just on the basis that you have to get into college and they usually don't accept morons. that being said i do not think that one has to go to college to do well in life and that college is becoming less and less required. trade school dosen't get the respect it deserves.

Absolutetly

how would having more education not make you smater? i think those who have gone and completed a degree are on average smarter than those who did not. just on the basis that you have to get into college and they usually don't accept morons. that being said i do not think that one has to go to college to do well in life and that college is becoming less and less required. trade school dosen't get the respect it deserves.
Bingo this guy gets the big picture; you get an education to allow you to pursue a career. Trade schools are often overlooked as a source of a solid career. You get an education to get a job; education does not come only from attending a college. It can come from trade schools, the military or an apprenticeship. Look on Js.firm.com, an aviation job web site. Where are most of the jobs on that site, the maintenance area? BTW I am not sure smarter and college are the same.

Secondarily my pilot heroes did not have college degrees and they performed feats that would test the metal of anyone...How can anyone say these guys without degrees were not as good as today’s degreed pilots?

It would be "test the METTLE" as in character, temperment, ardor, etc.

Just something I picked up in college.;)

Personally, I'd make the JAA ATP academics the standard. There would be fewer pilots.

Personally, I'd make the JAA ATP academics the standard. There would be fewer pilots.
I went to college; never picked that up, then again my fourth grade techer wnated to hold me back for bad sppleeeing, but I had won the school "Math Bee" and it woundln't loook good.

The mettle of metallurigsts testing metal most of the time makes more money. Huh?

I went to college; never picked that up, then again my fourth grade techer wnated to hold me back for bad sppleeeing, but I had won the school "Math Bee" and it woundln't loook good.

Get your money back, I guess.

That said, it probably never came up during the Alpha Crew oral exam in the P2V.

Call me "the Grammar Nazi."

Latest resources

Back