• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I'm a glider pilot too

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are actually TWO endorsements required...

§ 61.69 Glider towing: Experience and training requirements.
(a) No person may act as pilot in command for towing a glider unless that person:
(1) Holds at least a private pilot certificate with a category rating for powered aircraft;
(2) Has logged at least 100 hours of pilot-in-command time in the aircraft category, class, and type, if required, that the pilot is using to tow a glider;
(3) Has a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who certifies that the person has received ground and flight training in gliders and is proficient in -
(i) The techniques and procedures essential to the safe towing of gliders, including airspeed limitations;
(ii) Emergency procedures;
(iii) Signals used; and
(iv) Maximum angles of bank.
(4) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, has logged at least three flights as the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft towing a glider or simulating glider-towing flight procedures while accompanied by a pilot who meets the requirements of paragraphs (c) and (d) of this section;
(5) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, has received a logbook endorsement from the pilot, described in paragraph (a)(4) of this section, certifying that the person has accomplished at least 3 flights in an aircraft while towing a glider, or while simulating glider-towing flight procedures; and
(6) Within the preceding 12 months has -
(i) Made at least three actual or simulated glider tows while accompanied by a qualified pilot who meets the requirements of this section; or
(ii) Made at least three flights as pilot in command of a glider towed by an aircraft.

Fly safe!

David

Thanks David

I looked up that reg and was confused by the "authorized instructor" part.
I also asumed that any pilot who is checked out to be a tow pilot can give a tow pilot checkout.
So anyone know which is which?

Thanks

PB

chongololo said:
Thanks David

I looked up that reg and was confused by the "authorized instructor" part.
I also asumed that any pilot who is checked out to be a tow pilot can give a tow pilot checkout.
So anyone know which is which?

Thanks

PB

An "authorized instructor" in this case is a CFI-G.

Any tow pilot who meets the requirements of 61.69(c) and (d) can give the endorsement from the training tow pilot.

This is a little different from back when I did it...used to be the tow pilot gave the tow training, you had to have some glider time, and the CFI-G gave the only endorsement. We found it rather entertaining that a CFI-G was endorsing a pilot for operations in powered airplanes. Apparently the FAA finally found that a little strange, too ;)

Fly safe!

David

Latest resources

Back