ILS critical area

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BGSM

When given taxi instructions is ATC required to tell you to hold short of the ILS critical area if they are in use or do you go by what is published procedure in the AIM ?

When given taxi instructions is ATC required to tell you to hold short of the ILS critical area if they are in use or do you go by what is published procedure in the AIM ?
Aim 1-1-9 (k)
2. ATC issues control instructions to avoid interfering operations within ILS critical areas at controlled airports during the hours the Airport Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) is in operation as follows:

So ATC usually tells you right. That's what I thought, otherwise to the hold short line or spot they want you on? It's in the ATIS too, usually?

Last edited:
So does it have to below both vis and ceiling for it to be in effect? I have have never heard on ATIS to hold short ILS critical area what happens if it is in effect and they don't tell you to hold short and you cross it?

Best bet, if it is below 800 or 2, hold short of ILS critical area. If the ATIS says "expect ILS" hold short. If ATC tells you to hold short....well duh. If they don't want you to hold short and you do, the worst you'll get is a "taxi upto and hold short of the runway." No point in taxiing all the way if it might tork someone off.

So does it have to below both vis and ceiling for it to be in effect? I have have never heard on ATIS to hold short ILS critical area what happens if it is in effect and they don't tell you to hold short and you cross it?

800' and/or 2 miles while an aircraft is between the OM and threshold on an ILS approach. ATC will notify when these operations are in effect.

The way I see it, it is the pilot's responsibility to know when ops are prohibited in the ILS Critical area. Just because ground neglects to tell you to hold short at the critical line that doesn't relieve you of the responsibility to know that you should. I could be wrong though. It's not all that clear.

AIM 1-1-9 said:
2.ATC issues control instructions to avoid interfering operations within ILS critical areas at controlled airports during the hours the Airport Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) is in operation as follows:
(a) Weather Conditions. Less than ceiling 800 feet and/or visibility 2 miles.
(1) Localizer Critical Area. Except for aircraft that land, exit a runway, depart or miss approach, vehicles and aircraft are not authorized in or over the critical area when an arriving aircraft is between the ILS final approach fix and the airport. Additionally, when the ceiling is less than 200 feet and/or the visibility is RVR 2,000 or less, vehicle and aircraft operations in or over the area are not authorized when an arriving aircraft is inside the ILS MM.(2) Glide Slope Critical Area. Vehicles and aircraft are not authorized in the area when an arriving aircraft is between the ILS final approach fix and the airport unless the aircraft has reported the airport in sight and is circling or side stepping to land on a runway other than the ILS runway.

As I see it written, ATC will tell you to hold short at the appropriate area as necessary, however....
AIM 1-1-9 said:
(b) Weather Conditions. At or above ceiling 800 feet and/or visibility 2 miles.
(1) No critical area protective action is provided under these conditions.
Pilots are cautioned that vehicular traffic not subject to ATC may cause momentary deviation to ILS course or glide slope signals. Also, critical areas are not protected at uncontrolled airports or at airports with an operating control tower when weather or visibility conditions are above those requiring protective measures. Aircraft conducting coupled or autoland operations should be especially alert in monitoring automatic flight control systems.

Latest resources

Back