• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From the ATC Handbook

Order 7110.65R
3-7-5. PRECISION APPROACH CRITICAL AREA
a. ILS critical area dimensions are described in FAAO 6750.16, Siting Criteria for Instrument Landing Systems. Aircraft and vehicle access to the ILS/MLS critical area must be controlled to ensure the integrity of ILS/MLS course signals whenever conditions are less than reported ceiling 800 feet or visibility less than 2 miles. Do not authorize vehicles/aircraft to operate in or over the critical area, except as specified in subpara a1, whenever an arriving aircraft is inside the ILS outer marker (OM) or the fix used in lieu of the OM unless the arriving aircraft has reported the runway in sight or is circling to land on another runway.

Also, when cleared for the visual approach, min altitudes for autopilot are not precison approach.....if the pilot chooses to fly the "visual backed up by an ILS"..............

IOW, ATC doesn't tell that heavy widebody to not interfere with the LOC and GS transmitter......

ils

Stupidpilot:

How do you know when someone is on the ILS if you cant see him and your on ground/tower freq?

Stupidpilot:

How do you know when someone is on the ILS if you cant see him and your on ground/tower freq?
If conditions are below 800 & 2 hold short until tower tells you to take the runway. At uncontrolled fields you'd better be monitoring ctaf/unicom. Also, if wx is that low you cannot takeoff SVFR or get your clearance in the air. So ATC will not release you until the aircraft on approach has cancelled IFR. I have held short of the ils critical area when I haven't been instructed to and the ground controller has thanked me because he forgot to tell me. So if the weather dictates it I hold short of that point as a precautionary measure. If they want you to pull up to the normal hold line they will tell you.

I usually just hold short of the ILS critical line, if there is one (unless it's obviously good VFR) - it's not very far from the regular hold short line, and it's never an issue. The only time I could see it being an issue is if there's a bunch of guys in line on the taxiway waiting to depart - and that's usually only on a nice VFR day when it's not an issue anyway.

Latest resources

Back