IL-76 Crews ??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
414Flyer said:
I dont think there is such a thing as a surplus C-17.

The guy I talked with said there are and they're buying a bunch. Beyond that, I don't have the foggiest. But, there's only one place to get C-17s...

bafanguy said:
The guy I talked with said there are and they're buying a bunch. Beyond that, I don't have the foggiest. But, there's only one place to get C-17s...

C-17 crews here have complained here about being worked to death, and with talk at times of producing more C-17s because they are being used so much, and in the middle of a war, I think that person is blowing smoke who is talking about buying a bunch of C-17s. There certainly arent any sitting in the boneyard.

McD was talking at one time about a civilian version called the MD-17, but I dont think it was economical for commericial cargo operators, so nothing ever happened with it.

414Flyer said:
, and in the middle of a war, I think that person is blowing smoke who is talking about buying a bunch of C-17s. There certainly arent any sitting in the boneyard.

...I don't know any more than I was told by the agency doing the hiring for this proposed company. I suppose lots of people have grand ideas that don't come to fruition. But this one was interesting, if not a bit far-fetched. There was no mention of C-17s in a boneyard....but there's only one place to get them and certification of the acquired airplanes was a major issue to the person with whom I spoke about this.

...just a spectator here...

Is that pod on the pylon for a refueling hose, you think?

It certainly is, the IL-78 being a tanker and all, aka Midas. The FAA shows a valid reg, but no C of A.

I parked my C-5 next to one on the UAE and went ion to say a "dobra din" and have a look around; none of the gauges were placarded in english.

So what kind of flying do you think NATA is doing? I can see some sort of sophisticated PMC with Il-76 hauling cargo, but fighters? IP's I guess will be teaching.. Whom?

McD was talking at one time about a civilian version called the MD-17, but I dont think it was economical for commericial cargo operators, so nothing ever happened with it.

It is to be called a BC-17X and they are trying to get approval to acquire them.

X

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back