Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Archer

student pilot forever
Next semester I'm taking Instrument Flight Lectures, and they require four texts.

Jepp Instr./Commercial, FAR/AIM,some advisory circular on weather services (can't remember which one), one other text I can't remember, and then local approach plates. I don't know fully the details yet.

But I talked to the instructor, and she said that a good way to prepare for the intensive material, is to get a head start by reading over the FAR/AIM and a DVD or CD or Tape with IFR material.

So i'm wondering what material you guys would advise. I have the first of seven volumes of Sporty's DVD course, and it says on there it got an award from Flying Magazine 2001.

I liked the DVD format, as I'm using the Cessna Kit right now, and I frankly don't like re-installing the first 6 Cds to look over earlier material, changing the CDs every two seconds etc...

My FBO makes IR students buy the Cessna IFR kit, but I'm not going to start IR flight until late spring, or maybe even next Fall.

I'm just doing IR theory and building up VFR x/c time in the spring.

Thanx

Archer

All the stuff they require is pretty good and should pretty much cover it. Instrument Flying Handbook is a necessary book. If you want more...try Trevor Thom's instrument books...they're very good and a little more in depth than what you can get from the Jepp and the FAA pubs.

You have a nice list of "books".

I think that new Jepessen Instrument/Commercial book is just great. I also like the FAA's Instrument Flying Handbook and Trevor Thom's book (note: study from the Jepp, use the FAA book to answer any questions you may have from written test questions and use Trevor as a reference book). I like Trevor because he explains how to do things from two or three perspectives. For example: he must have 3-4 "crutches" on how to visualize holding pattern entry - they don't all have to be learned, just pick one that works for you.

Now as to other suggestions of Video's, etc. I always remind my students to think about how they learn best. Are you good at reading a subject and understanding? Then stay with books. Do you like to have someone talking to you and seeing things visually? Then get a CD or Video course. Do you need to have the ability for questions and answers, then take a ground school course. When people suggest materials, they usually make the suggestion from their own experience. Some people are visual, some are tactile, some like study material - YOU make the choice how you learn best.

As to the WX AC - that is actually a book that just has an official FAA AC #. You can find Aviation Weather and the companion Aviation Weather Services at Sporty's or any FBO with a good library.

The FAR/AIM is evident and even available on-line at FAA.GOV.

I like ASA's The Pilot's Manual #3: Instrument Flying. I think Trevor Thom contributed to it. You can get it at MyPilotStore.com.

What are your guy's take on DVDs, especially Sporty's...

I'm thinking of getting that set of DVDs as I like to learn both "visually" and by reading text...

I don't know much about Instrument flying, but I've been hearing it's pretty tough, which is why I'm taking a class and getting ready to study all these materials...before I even start flying...

thanx for the advice

Archer

Haven't seen the DVD's...I'm sure they're fine but I learn well from books and experience. Speaking of which, do you have a flight sim for your PC? If not, get one. Don't worry about yoke, pedals, and all that jazz, just a joystick. You'll mostly use it for procedures and positional awareness. Read about a procedure, discuss it with your CFI, try it at home several times, go fly. You can cut your costs dramatically by not seeing things for the first time in the plane while distracted by ATC, wx, CFI, and controlling the plane in general.

Best of luck...you have the right attitude and will do fine. IFR, like all flying, is not that tough if you're well prepared and practiced. It is, to me, the most rewarding part of aviation.

I'm a reading enthusiast so I can't help you much.

I know what I don't like - The old Martha King videos with talking heads blathering away at you (I understand they have revised that series, but the old stuff was awful). I saw a trial version of the Cessna DVD's when they first came out and they were terrible - very bad organization - scattershot learning. Again - these were very early samples of the new video age.

Hopefully, someone will have something positive to say about a product out there. When I was teaching ground school from the then brand new Jepessen IFR/Commercial book, the DVD's were just being developed - the salesman actually talked me out of recommending the videos to my students saying they were "thin" on content unlike the book itself.

One thing I would suggest. It sounds like you want to go through a whole ground school before starting the flying lessons on IFR. Even if you don't have the money/time right now, find a good IFR instructor and ask him for one-two hours of lessons to reinforce your ground studies. Ask him if he would ever so informally and just as an intro, show you a VOR and ILS approach (using raw needles/data - not GPS at first), then show you the art of holding (again just an intro) and then show you an advanced GPS approach using both map and CDI's. This "taste" and seeing the real deal in the airplane will make you understand the concepts so much easier- it wouldn't hurt if he took you on a little trip into actual IFR conditions either. You will be hooked!

IFR materials

The manual published by Professional Instrument Courses (PIC) is a well-organized instrument flying book.

One of my all-time favorites is IFR Principles and Practice: A Guide to Safe Instrument Flying by Avram Goldstein Newton W. Miller, ISBN: 0934754047. It's a great little book about instrument flying that explains it in easy-to-understand terms. Very well written.

One caveat about training materials: Although commercial pubs may explain things well and convey the same information as FAA publications, bear in mind that for flight instructors the government pubs are the FAA's final word on what should be taught. Therefore, my .02 recommendation is that you should prepare your course and lecture materials based on FAA materials, saying it the way the FAA says it. Use the commercial books as supplemental references.

Good luck with your course.

While doing your ground school, back seat other students instrument flights. You can gain valuable experience watching someone else make mistakes and it's free. If you are in an academic environment, backseating is probably a common occurrence. It's less common at Part 61 schools but your instructor might be able to facilitate a few rides for you.

Latest resources

Back