• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

IFR training material

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At the Part 61 school where I rent, all of the instructors are really cool about back seating a flight. They just ask that you get permission from the student, and at least for me - that's never been a problem. I do this whenever I'm bumming around the airport. I always learn something new, and as a budding CFI I also learn about different instructional techniques.

CFI-I books

OldTomcat said:
Good recommendations--- what would you add to the book list for CFII (practical)?
Along with the ones I wrote about above, the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook, Aviation Weather, Aviation Weather Services, the FAA Flight Instructor Instrument PTS.

In fact, get the FII PTS, look up the list of references, and get all of them. Then, you should be set, bearing in mind, again that the FAA's pubs are its final word on the subject. Meaning, for a practical, as long as you do it and/or say it the FAA way, and even if you, your instructor, or examiner disagree with it, you have to be passed.

One thing I would suggest. It sounds like you want to go through a whole ground school before starting the flying lessons on IFR. Even if you don't have the money/time right now, find a good IFR instructor and ask him for one-two hours of lessons to reinforce your ground studies. Ask him if he would ever so informally and just as an intro, show you a VOR and ILS approach (using raw needles/data - not GPS at first), then show you the art of holding (again just an intro) and then show you an advanced GPS approach using both map and CDI's. This "taste" and seeing the real deal in the airplane will make you understand the concepts so much easier- it wouldn't hurt if he took you on a little trip into actual IFR conditions either. You will be hooked!

Tarp, I see what you mean, it is hard to understand from books alone sometime, being in the plane will help you see things better.

There was one lesson during my PP training in which it was IMC, and I thought we were going to do ground work, when my CFI(II) told me that we could go up and do some hood work and actual IMC (it wasn't totally IMC, it broke here and there). So we went up quite late, and I flew myself 0.4 actual (weird that was!) and ended up doing things I had not expected, like my first night landing, and my first night, x-wind, ILS approach (assisted of course). It was awesome, and my CFI told me that was one of the best "first ILS" approaches he had seen...

It was amazing, and I might actually tell him (during my ground school/class) to take me up on another IFR ride...hell I might do a couple of hours dual here and there...

but riding on the back never occured to me, and I will investigate this :D

Right now I know two pilots...one is my CFI (which will be my CFII too) and the other is a friend in my major, who happens to have his CFI too...

so this friend of mine could be a very good resource, as I most probably would not have to pay him, and we could split the cost of an IFR flight, and I coudl get valuable experience...

I have to get through my PP first though...I'm just thinking slightly ahead to make sure I don't end up doing something really wrong in IFR flying...as it seems to be much much more dangerous...as you depend on your instruments and ATC almost entirely...in IMC at least...

Archer

Oh Archer,

You fooled us a little bit. Thought you were done with the PPL. Concentrate on that one first, then go to your dreams of IFR flight. First, we must walk. Let me guess, you've soloed and are just about to start working on X-C's with your CFI. It's very predictable that you are a little bored and looking for excitement that the IFR rating holds. Don't worry, you'll come back to earth and find a whole new reason to get serious about your PPL ticket. I've taught a few folks and know all about this "drop" in attention. I'll guess your CFI has got some excitement waiting for you on the very next nice flying day.

On the CFII books,

It's the same list. Jepps, Trevor, and as Bobby said, all the FAA publications. I am a William Kershner advocate but don't like his Instrument Manual at all. However, In Kershner's Flight Instructor manual there are some tasty instructor tips but I don't know if these are worth going out and buying the book if you already have your CFI.
The biggest tip I can give any double-I candidate is keep looking outside. It's hard at first, but when you get into a hold over a popular VOR and find yourself whizzing by other folks who don't seem to be saying much on the radio, you understand that your #1 priority is the safety of the flight while the Instrument student figures out how to fly on the six-pack. I find that when I'm teaching Instruments, I recline back like an F-16 pilot so I can scan both the windshield and the instruments. The student already has basic airplane control and you have to trust this. Then you get headaches trying to look outside and inside for hours on end - instrument instruction can be fun, but six hours of it can be exhausting in a busy environment.

Well...that's why I'm taking ground school in spring and IFR flight training next Fall or late Spring...

I'll be finishing up my PPL by Feb, and building x/c time till late spring...where If I'm confident, I might start IR training...if not, i'll wait till next Fall...

but the IR ground school IS in the Spring...

Archer

Kershner's Book

Don't CFIs have to have every aviation book out there? (jk)

Kershner's "Flight Instructor" and "Advanced Pilot Manuals" are awesome for the detail. Both are being updated, so if someone is a semester or two away from commercial and CFI, it's best to wait. His "Instrument Manual" is far superior to the FAA's sleep therapy manual.

Additional books: Rod Machado's "Instrument Pilot Survival Guide" and "Private Pilot Manual."

Spend some time at the bookstore (college store, Borders, Amazon) and flip through the aviation books. One is bound to make more sense than the others. That's the one to get. (*SIGH* So many books, so little time.)

Here's a tip: Become a ground instructor (two written tests) and join NAFI. The instructor certificate allows you to purchase these books at a discount, or, Jem-Aero allows CFIs to be distributors and able to buy at the dealer price. For some books that is over $15 off, especially the Jepp series.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Latest resources

Back