• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ifl

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They have had a Convair 580 a day into khuf-krfd the past week or so. I am guessing auto parts. The boxes I loaded into it were a joke. Could have put the load onto a Caravan and all the boxes combined were only 500lbs. One of the crews told us that they are hiring 600/20 for FO's.

hahaha, i know what you mean jessman, raises who said anything about raises too? That question about how much the convairs are flying could be answered by you. It is true, they just hired a few falcon fo's and convair fo's, off the street, but somewhere down the line they knew somebody somehow, like you said in the other forum your friend that got hired is roommates with one of their 72 drivers. I'm not trying to steer people one way or the other, I got on with low time also, its cool to fly there at first then when its 10 degrees out and your pushing a pallet to the back of a plane, freezing your butt off you start to realize there is no difference sitting right seat in a plane at a regional, a major, or a freight hauler, just alot of bs and paperwork differences, a 20 minute call out, and maybe 2 days off in a row if its slow.

Are you currently there? I was thinking about applying for the Convair position as freight is the way I was wanting to go in life. I just can't find much information on the company outside of what little word of mouth I pickup. Is 500-800hrs a year possible?

Yeah I'm currently there, on the falcon, I honestly don't know how much they fly, my very good friend flew on the convair here for 7 months last year and left because he wasnt flying, we lost 7 fo's since august, and they just did interviews and hired a bunch of fo's. I was hired in november of 2005 and the next set of interviews that were run were a couple weeks ago, they don't hire often. Do you live in michigan, I would recommend the other freight carrier on the field at ptk, I have a friend there and he is flying probably 85-110 hours a month. If you don't have anything holding you to the ptk area I would say go down to yip and try the companies down there, at kalitta and usa jet you will fly alot more, make more money and get more guaranteed days off a month. If nothing is holding you to michigan there are a ton of other freight haulers around the country where you will get pic faster. Unless you have something personally as to why you want to haul freight I would recommend looking into something else, freight isnt glamorous, it sucks staying up all night and waiting around all day for a few boxes to show up, yeah boxes don't b*tch but freight pilots sure do and it gets very old very fast.

if a plane is empty at an airline and scheduled to fly it still goes, you still get the hours, if a freighter is empty it sits, and so do you, which translates into weekends and days off in places you probably don't want to be nor can do anything because you are sitting there waiting for a trip, you can't even predict if any hours are possible in a year there, its the nature of the job.

Convairs are acutally flying a bit now. Stress the word NOW. On demand means no guarentee that it will continue.

Last edited:
They have had a Convair 580 a day into khuf-krfd the past week or so. I am guessing auto parts. The boxes I loaded into it were a joke. Could have put the load onto a Caravan and all the boxes combined were only 500lbs. One of the crews told us that they are hiring 600/20 for FO's.

I was on the other side of that in RFD....i was talking to the same guys i think. However i think the guys getting hired with that low of time have some help on the inside. Either way i hear good things about them, seem to be able to get back home to sleep in your own bed quite a bit more then other on demand companys.

A little bird told me that three of IFL's captains left last week for Spirit Airlines, and that they are looking for more pilots ASAP, check climbto350.

mins are pretty low for the CV-580.

Latest resources

Back