• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

IFL Convair accident in MGGT.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow I was there that day. must have happened after I left. I saw a 172's landing gear fail and they just got a forklift and pushed it off the runway so we could take off.

I flew 171FL once upon a time, we were always told be gentle on lowering the nose after landing. The nose gear was a weak link in the CV-580. Not to say that was the problem here, but it kinda looks like it.

Was the convair a good bird?
The 580 was an awesome airplane, easy to fly stable, a little heavy on the controls, and over powered. It had more power in one Allison Engine than the piston one had in two engine. The fixed shaft Allison 501 was a great power plant for pilots, instant power, fantastic stopping. I loved flying it, it was a little like a "baby" Electra.

The 640 was a "Whistling S-House "....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23032926@N05/5241313622/

Underpowered even with water/meth, noisy, cold, ugly tit-like radome, Rolls-Royce noisemakers, completely squirrely in pitch control ( couldn't be trimmed to save your life ) yet it took two hands just to bank the thing....God how I loved her.

:)

Of course, it was the first twin I ever really flew ( besides 7 hours in an Apache to get my Multi ) and who doesn't love their first real girlfriend?

Oh, to be young again...Before women and airplanes sucked the life out of me and left this dry husk...

I wouldn't change a thing. ( Well, okay maybe one or two. )

YKW

Last edited:
The 640 was a "Whistling S-House "....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23032926@N05/5241313622/

Underpowered even with water/meth, noisy, cold, ugly tit-like radome, Rolls-Royce noisemakers, completely squirrely in pitch control ( couldn't be trimmed to save your life ) yet it took two hands just to bank the thing....God how I loved her.

:)

Of course, it was the first twin I ever really flew ( besides 7 hours in an Apache to get my Multi ) and who doesn't love their first real girlfriend?

Oh, to be young again...Before women and airplanes sucked the life out of me and left this dry husk...

I wouldn't change a thing. ( Well, okay maybe one or two. )

YKW

Couldn't have said it better myself

The 580 was a much better airplane than the 640. Almost overpowered, good hot and high performance, better payload and longer range. Plus everybody loves a lady that purrs over one with a loud whine...

the piston CV340 was the best of the lot, 2 R2800's ADI injected and making 59.5" MP at max takeoff settings,2400 hp a side ,they made beautiful music, and the 340 was a dream to fly to boot.

Latest resources

Back