Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lear70

JAFFO
I'm not an advocate of the Bankruptcy process but recognize that in some cases, it's a necessary evil to protect yourself and your family during hard times - post 9/11 was hard on many of us and continues to be difficult as more carriers lay off pilots and or close the doors. Faced with the decision to keep a roof over your family's head or file bankruptcy, many people have chosen to take care of their families - it's definitely a difficult moral choice.

That said, a friend of mine is going through the B.R. process and knew that I had filed 13 after I took a 50% pay cut leaving EOI to come to PCL then was laid off after 9/11 and he was told yesterday by his BR attorney that a new law was going into effect within the next 30-45 days that will SEVERELY LIMIT what an individual may file bankruptcy on and have wiped out.

Traditionally, Ch. 7 and 13 bankruptcy wipes out most unsecured creditors except for certain "priority" creditors such as Student Loans, IRS, etc. Congress signed a bill yesterday that expands the list of "priority creditors" to include certain asset-based debts (such as houses, cars, boats, and semi-secured debts like a Wells Fargo signature loan where you list household goods like computers and entertainment systems as partial-security).

The bill will go to the Senate where it is expected to pass relatively quickly and then to the White House where Bush is expected to sign is just as quickly, making it effective within 30-45 days. CNN and Fox News have been running stories on it and Bankruptcy attorneys are very upset about it, recognizing that there is going to be a "run" on bankruptcies until the bill is signed, then their business will decrease to a trickle.

The reason I post this here is that many regional pilots have gotten "stuck" in the right seat far longer than they planned and are having trouble meeting their debts, not to mention the possibility of many losing their jobs if US or UAL go Ch. 7. Many of us may have house payments that are LOWER than renting (my condo payment is only $485 a month but the unit across from me rents for $800) and forcing us to spend more money on rent would also force us to give up our cars too, and then STILL make payments on BOTH the lost house and car!!!

If you're seriously considering filing, TALK TO A BANKRUPTCY ATTORNEY NOW! To wait may make it impossible to retain your house or car that you've paid on for years and force you to still make payments on something you no longer own!

another option

Another option, if you don't want to do bankruptcy or miss the dead line. Consumer Credit Counseling Service at www.cccs.net. We went through a similar situation a couple of years ago, income dropped right after Christmas. Bills piled up with no way of being able to catch up. CCCS was able to negotiate lower rates on all of our cards. We had w/ late payments and fees, close to $1500 owed up front on $11,000 in debt, what would have been $500 a month normally. CCCS got that knocked down to $247 a month, and just a regular $247 payment up front.

You have to cancel all of the cards you are putting on the program, and you can only put unsecured debt on the program (ie credit cards etc). You pay them each month and they distribute the money to your creditors. IT IS NOT A CONSOLIDATION LOAN. They are a nonprofit company that just seems to want to help people out.

It does affect you credit while you are in the program, though not nearly to the extent that a bankruptcy does.

This is the one program that Clark Howard (www.clarkhoward.com), a really great consumer advocate radio talk show host, recommends.

It gave us the breathing room we needed to get things straightened out. If anyone has questions feel free to PM me. -kingaira90

Lear70 said:
I'm not an advocate of the Bankruptcy process but recognize that in some cases, it's a necessary evil to protect yourself and your family during hard times - post 9/11 was hard on many of us and continues to be difficult as more carriers lay off pilots and or close the doors. Faced with the decision to keep a roof over your family's head or file bankruptcy, many people have chosen to take care of their families - it's definitely a difficult moral choice.

That said, a friend of mine is going through the B.R. process and knew that I had filed 13 after I took a 50% pay cut leaving EOI to come to PCL then was laid off after 9/11 and he was told yesterday by his BR attorney that a new law was going into effect within the next 30-45 days that will SEVERELY LIMIT what an individual may file bankruptcy on and have wiped out.

Traditionally, Ch. 7 and 13 bankruptcy wipes out most unsecured creditors except for certain "priority" creditors such as Student Loans, IRS, etc. Congress signed a bill yesterday that expands the list of "priority creditors" to include certain asset-based debts (such as houses, cars, boats, and semi-secured debts like a Wells Fargo signature loan where you list household goods like computers and entertainment systems as partial-security).

The bill will go to the Senate where it is expected to pass relatively quickly and then to the White House where Bush is expected to sign is just as quickly, making it effective within 30-45 days. CNN and Fox News have been running stories on it and Bankruptcy attorneys are very upset about it, recognizing that there is going to be a "run" on bankruptcies until the bill is signed, then their business will decrease to a trickle.

The reason I post this here is that many regional pilots have gotten "stuck" in the right seat far longer than they planned and are having trouble meeting their debts, not to mention the possibility of many losing their jobs if US or UAL go Ch. 7. Many of us may have house payments that are LOWER than renting (my condo payment is only $485 a month but the unit across from me rents for $800) and forcing us to spend more money on rent would also force us to give up our cars too, and then STILL make payments on BOTH the lost house and car!!!

If you're seriously considering filing, TALK TO A BANKRUPTCY ATTORNEY NOW! To wait may make it impossible to retain your house or car that you've paid on for years and force you to still make payments on something you no longer own!

There will be stipulations to this new law. One important one is that this law may not apply to those who make less than the average state income. So there's a good chance that this law will not apply to regional F/Os. Be aware of what the consequences of a bankrupcy on your credit report will do for your future.

kingaira90 said:
Another option, if you don't want to do bankruptcy or miss the dead line. Consumer Credit Counseling Service at www.cccs.net. We went through a similar situation a couple of years ago, income dropped right after Christmas. Bills piled up with no way of being able to catch up. CCCS was able to negotiate lower rates on all of our cards. We had w/ late payments and fees, close to $1500 owed up front on $11,000 in debt, what would have been $500 a month normally. CCCS got that knocked down to $247 a month, and just a regular $247 payment up front.

You have to cancel all of the cards you are putting on the program, and you can only put unsecured debt on the program (ie credit cards etc). You pay them each month and they distribute the money to your creditors. IT IS NOT A CONSOLIDATION LOAN. They are a nonprofit company that just seems to want to help people out.

It does affect you credit while you are in the program, though not nearly to the extent that a bankruptcy does.

This is the one program that Clark Howard (www.clarkhoward.com), a really great consumer advocate radio talk show host, recommends.

It gave us the breathing room we needed to get things straightened out. If anyone has questions feel free to PM me. -kingaira90

The only reason that creditors participate in this program is that it is better than getting nothing in return if the consumer files bankruptcy. Now that these creditors are going to get paid, no matter what, there will be less incentive for them to try to work with the consumer.

Its about time they pass a law like this. Perhaps this will teach people to become more responsible consumers. MOST bankruptcy filings are the result of stupid money management practices and people not living within their means. Bankruptcy is just another form of welfare that allows people to walk away from financial obligations and it's about time they overhaul this abuse. Hopefully, they will overhaul the abuse in the welfare system next.

I'm all for this law. Boo freakin' hoo if some bankruptcy attorneys will see their business decline. These guys make money by ensuring that people who have debt are enable to walk away from their obligations. We all pay for it in terms of higher interest rates. As for the people who will not be able to file bankruptcy in the future, good. It's about time the American population starts to take responsibility for their actions. You should not be able to rack up $30K in credit card debt and then be able to walk away from it. If you can't afford it, then don't buy it. If your salary is too low, then get a second job or find a new line of work. I'm sick and tired of these personal bankruptcies that effectively result in their debt being passed on to you and me.

" MOST bankruptcy filings are the result of stupid money management practices and people not living within their means."

The statistics I've seen show that MOST bk filings are the result of catastrophic medical debt. So, if your kid gets cancer and his hospital bill exceeds your health insurance cap (if you are lucky enough to have insurance), you can rest easy in the knowledge that poor, impoverished, victimized MBNA will still get their money. At 29% interest. That will help them pay that $1 billion lobby bill they ran up.

This federal bill also usurps your state bankruptcy laws. More big government from those tax-and-spend Republicans.

No one for a conservative to vote for anymore.

I do have some problems with this law and BK is the only option for some.

Nothin for nothin but yeah your right, "W" is the biggest spending president in US history according to the OMB.

neflier said:
As for the people who will not be able to file bankruptcy in the future, good. It's about time the American population starts to take responsibility for their actions. You should not be able to rack up $30K in credit card debt and then be able to walk away from it. If you can't afford it, then don't buy it. If your salary is too low, then get a second job or find a new line of work. I'm sick and tired of these personal bankruptcies that effectively result in their debt being passed on to you and me.
That's one of the more assinine things I've read in a few weeks on here...

So let me ask you this: a 727 freighter Captain who has been working the U.S. Postal Service routes for a few years and considers his job fairly stable makes about $80k a year (4,600 a month after taxes) so he buys a $200,000 home - not exactly a mansion, just a 3 bedroom place to raise the kids far enough from the projects not to see crack whores on the corner. Year 2000 interest rates payment = $1,500 a month. Then he buys a $30,000 truck so he can get around - not a Porsche, just a Ford F150 truck: $400 a month. He still has student loans at about $200 a month, all total about $2,100 a month in debt - he's living on less than HALF of his income.

Then the contract is illegally single-sourced to FedEx - income GONE. Find a job at half the pay, about $2,300 a month. But he still has $2,100 a month in debt payments BEFORE he buys food for the wife and kids. Wife has a job that pays HER bills but not much more... Then September 11th happens and the guy gets furloughed and doesn't know when he gets to go back to work, so he finds a job on the side that only pays about $30k a year ($1,750 per month after taxes).

The above happened to me. NO CREDIT CARD DEBT, and I mean ZERO, ZILCH, so explain to me how irresponsible spending is a problem? Thank God for Chapter 13 BR that kept me from losing my house and my car and allowed me to drop the payments enough to survive, or should I just have let my family go without shelter, food, or clothing?

Guys like you always come out of the wood work on your high horse, but don't consider that not everyone fits into your neat little definition of "circumstance". Sometimes life deals you cards that you don't deserve; should you then get screwed even harder?

May you live to someday realize, FIRST HAND, what it's like to be on the receiving end of this equation.

Latest resources

Back