If you could change a FAR...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JetPilot500

I was thinking that this could be a fun thread.

If you could change any FAR, what would it be? How would you change it? Would you create a reg that doesn't exist now?

Not so much chaging one particular FAR, but would make them more plain language in those few ambigous cases.

Is it 91.103? How can anyone be aware of ALL pertinent information? Is Kreskin a pilot?

I'd also put an end to this silliness of logging. Make it simple: act as, so log as PIC. One per airplane. No back seat logging.

You get the idea. Lawyers! (sorry, Todd :D)

Last edited:
Simple rules for alternates, takeoffs, and landing minimums that apply to ALL operations. Plain language, not modified by op specs.

I would increase the eight hours of mandatory rest to ten. Twelve would be excessive, but ten would just about cover travel to and from the hotel, getting to your room, packing, unpacking, etc.

...and along those lines, if I were writing the FAR's, continuous duty overnights would cease to exist! My god! How did anyone manage to make this practice legal? If you work the back-side of the clock all the time, fine, you're used to it. But for guys like me--married with children, chores to tend to, etc.--it's bloody dangerous!

Okay, rant complete. Carry on.

Take out the obviously vague catch-all BS paragraphs like 91.103 (all available information), 91.13 (careless & reckless), etc. You can't (shouldn't!) mix explicit and implicit regs, unless you lack accountability and aren't willing to put forth a the effort to have a reasonable & fair set of regs.

Now that I sort of know the structure and content of 14 CFR (FAR's), I appreciate it more than I did early on. Pretty good overall - minus the above type items.

Logging time and overnights

Logging time as PIC from the back seat should be barred. PIC presupposes that the pilot is "in command," meaning that he/she can take the controls if necessary. I realize we have back-seat drivers and right-seat captains, but I know of no back-seat pilots in a normally-configured airplane.

While we're talking about logging questionable items, the regs should be tightened to permit only sole manipulators to log approaches and takeoffs and landings. I had a Chief Pilot at FSI try to convince instructors that they can log their students' approaches. That was ludicrous, but the regs could be taken that way. He tried to snow us into logging their takeoffs and landings for night currency, and if we didn't like that we should take one or two to maintain currency. I was always loathe to take takeoffs and landings from students; he was too cheap to give instructors proficiency time. Epilogue: He was gone within three months after I left FSI.

There should be curbs on stand-up overnights. It's a safety issue. Sometimes, the best lines you can hold include stand-up overnights; therefore, it's impossible to avoid getting them.

Last edited:
Since there seems to be a bit of a discussion on stand-ups, I thought I'd chime in.

As long as they don't mix with other duty, and you only do stand-ups for the month, it's not that bad. I personally don't care for them, but if I'm going to get stuck with them, then I'd prefer to only do them.

Our contract calls for CDO lines to have only CDOs, a max of 3 consecutive CDOs, followed my a minimum of 3 days off following any CDO or block of CDOs.

You can't really outlaw back side of the clock flying, since at many companies, this is a standard way of doing business, like at many freight operators, for example. But if you apply some common sense, and accept that the rules for back side of the clock flying need to take in to consideration the fatigue factor, it can be safely accomplished.

Maximum planned duty day as a commercial operator 12 hours, no exceptions (even if technically on a part 91 leg). If 12 hours is exceeded then mandatory rest period starting at 12 hours and minute for minute to match the previous duty.

Latest resources

Back