If I only knew then...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skydiverdriver

In the interests of more positive posts, here's an idea. What things do you know now that you wish you knew when you were first starting to fly? I don't want to make anyone feel bad about what they do, but just have an outlet for suggestions on how to handle things a bit better. Two come to mind, first, I wish I knew NOT to turn on all of my aircraft's lights when I get cleared into position on the runway. I had a twin Cessna do this to me the other day, as they were on the opposite side of the runway and they blinded us with every light they had. I didn't learn to wait until we were lined up until I flew for a cargo airline. Another one is when you say "blocked" on the radio. I had a GA pilot who kept blocking the controller, and after the third time, I finally said ".....Center, another aircraft keeps blocking you, say again, and other aircraft please stand by." I think the GA guy thought I was taking to HIM, when normally saying "blocked" is referring to the controller being blocked, not the aircraft.

Anybody have any other things that the newer pilots might need to know? Perhaps more people with airline and military experience should go back to their local FBO and teach a ground school on this stuff. Just a thought, and a way to put something back into the community. Good luck to all.

Switching frequencies...and not giving it a few seconds before you start talking. You may interupt a conversation.

Trying to ID the localizer when you are not within 30 degrees of it. You'll never hear it....so many people that are experienced seem to do this.

When relieving yourself standing off the wing, make sure to pull out your equipment and point downwind

Listening to the ATIS, and copying it down, without checking your watch first. To make sure isn't just about to change.

Calling for advisories for a traffic pattern, without listening to the others on the frequecy for a little while first.

I wish I had known:

- When somebody says "Hey, watch this!" you'd better look out. Something stupid is about to happen.

- It doesn't take some amazing amount of experience to figure out what's right and what's not. After the first flush of a bright idea has worn off, your gut instinct is normally correct. And, interestingly, the most conservative approach/decision is normally the best one.

- The first thing to do in an emergency is fly the airplane. The radio can wait.

- When it is time to talk and you're in doubt about what to say to a controller to get your point across, use plain language.

Nice thread--I'm sure there are a million of these thoughts out there.

I wish I had known how pathetic it sounded when my CFI made me say, "TALLY HO" and "NO JOY" to ATC, when flying a C-172 during some of my flight training!

:D

I wish I had asked for a raise sooner. . . if only I'd known they would say yes.

I wish I'd have known then where I would be right now, what I'm doing, where I am.

It's been a hard ride so far, but I wouldn't change a thing.

Some things just have to be learned the hard way and only experience can do that. I've had some painful experiences, some tense ones, and some that I dont' care to repeat, but I'm sure glas I had them, and I wouldn't trade them for the world. I am who I am, because of them.

I'd never want my kids to grow up to be like me; they can do better. But I wouldn't change where I've been or what I've done.

Don't do ice. Don't do single engine IFR. Don't fly under powerlines if you can at all help it. Narrow canyons hurt. Don't wear flammable things in airplanes. Carry a piss bottle for long trips. Don't forget antacid and tylenol when you go some place. Exercise a little more. Don't wear hats so much if you dont' want to see a bare naked halo back there when visiting the barber. Cholesterol really is bad for you. Tell her she's beautiful and that you love her, every day, even if it's not a good day and make sure she understands it. Don't do ice, still. Don't let anybody push you into a flight, no job is worth it. Life is more than a seniority number. A J-3 cub flies just about the same as a Sabreliner, which is a lot like a Cessna 172, and is surprising like anything else...an airplane is an airplane, don't get too wrapped up in size or name or power, or get too proud. Stay in school. Develop outside interests. Pull the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** reserve; you're not too low and it's not too windy for a round parachute. They're shooting at you for a reason...but that doesn't really matter. Airspeed and bank accounts have a lot of similiarities. There is a rewarding career path, and a lucrative one; they're not necessarily near each other. Floats are fun, don't forget that. Stay alert, don't get complacent. Study, all the time. The regulations are written in blood. Don't forget it. Get to know them. File ASRS reports faithfully. Don't forget to pray; God didn't quit needing to hear from you just because you got a career. Tell her you love her again. Don't stay in motels where you smell currey when you walk into the lobby. Don't drink the water. Coca cola isn't a major food group but is allowable if provided in conjunction with chocolate. Get mechanic certification early: do it at a school instead of on your own. Buy your own tools early. Never do a job that's not 100% right the first time. Always return a man's things in better condition than you found them. Respect your credit report, and protect it. Live within your means. Learn to keep a confidence, and learn to listen before speaking. Take nothing for granted.

Those are a few things I'd tell me-then. Of course, I don't think me-then would listen. Just a few observations made along the way.

As usual, good post Avbug. There is a heap of wisdom in them thar thoughts and words.....especially the don't do ice part....
Thanks for the insight into your career.

avbug said:
Life is more than a seniority number.

...an airplane is an airplane, don't get too wrapped up in size or name or power, or get too proud. .

Now Avbug, saying things like that will get you labled as a heretic :) But I agree completely and wish more did too.

Hindsight is 20/20 . . . .

I wish I would have started in aviation years before I did. More specifically, as my father, of blessed memory, said, I should have changed careers ten years before I did.

As far as jobs are concerned, I had a chance to leave ERAU to work for ATCA in Phoenix, instructing Lufthansa students in Bonanzas and Barons, etc. However, I would have been hired on a "B" scale. A colleague had just been hired at a starting salary of $31K in 1991. My salary would have been less. I just couldn't bring myself to take less money for the same job. Cost of living in Phoenix would have been more. At times, I have wished that I had taken the job.

I second Avbug on filing NASA reports. I was good about that. I even filed one about a headstrong and somewhat recalcitrant student who defied my signoff. Always do what's right, but make sure you do right by yourself.

avbug said:
Don't stay in motels where you smell currey when you walk into the lobby. .........................................................
Those are a few things I'd tell me-then. Of course, I don't think me-then would listen. Just a few observations made along the way.
\

You Sir are THE MAN!

still rolling on the floor,
8N

Latest resources

Back