If everyone hates their airline why not quit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OI812 said:
ok here is a little history im 35 did 9 years infantry US army, first flight july 2001. start training at TSA IN feb

I didn't know TSA was hiring. My understanding was all growth is going to Ho-Jets. How many seats does the plane you are going to fly have in the back?

when is someone going to figure out...

This isn't the military.. Nobody cares what it was like to live in a tent and your schedule sucking.

This is civilian life. WE don't have to take orders.

You have not spent ONE DAY on the line at an airline yet. You have NO idea what you are talking about.

S.[/quote]

And neither have you ,Lindbergh......on BOTH counts!!

PHXFLYR:cool:

Every body has a right to complain. I just don't like to hear it from a 250 hour total time person who bought thier way into the airlines. You have no clue what most other people went through to get here. As for what ever airline your at trust me there are worse. Things may not be great and trust me their not at mine but there are always worse places to be. I was at great lakes so I know for experience.

Ride Orange said:
OI812,
The biggest thing you will notice in training is the whinning from the peeps that have never been through the things you have. I've done both (military and 121) and I thought training was a breeze, while others truly faced the toughest thing they have ever done. It's all about perspective. On that note, you can't really have a discussion on a place like this with people who haven't seen things from your side of the fence. And about the sacrifices others mentioned....you have already far exceeded that so it will be cake. And if you could corner one of the people that bitch about their job on here all of the time and asked them what else they would rather be doing instead...they probably wouldnt be able to think of anything. A bitching pilot is a happy pilot...er..sort of.

Good luck in initial!

Give it up Ride and get over it! You're not the only one that has been through anything, and I am sure I didn't see you at War College. You have served your country and I respect that. But, this is a new game and you better learn the rules fast. And, certainly, as you are taught as a young officer in any branch, you better learn what's going on before you assert you authority, if you have any. Respect is earned by experience! Get some, and them we'll talk!

miles otoole said:
According to you? A multimillion dollar retirement for a blue collar job? Are you insane? With the technology today, the money should go to the aircraft engineers. Much of your salary in this industry in this salary better be in the enjoyment of the flying.

Blue collar job??? Are you insane??? This used to be a proud profession. We carry the responsibility for hundreds of lives on every flight. I have an advanced degree and chose to fly because I love it, and, I know what it takes to be a professional pilot.
I am not intellectually arrogant, thinking that I am above my fellow airline pilots, many of whom have advanced degrees. What we have to know, and the skills and knowledge that we have to apply every day, equals any white collar job and has in the past, and should be considered and compensated at white collar/professional pay rates.
Since when have we come to believe that our knowledge and skills are at the level of blue collared workers. Not to disrespect that workforce.

jetfo said:
Blue collar job??? Are you insane??? This used to be a proud profession. We carry the responsibility for hundreds of lives on every flight. I have an advanced degree and chose to fly because I love it, and, I know what it takes to be a professional pilot.
I am not intellectually arrogant, thinking that I am above my fellow airline pilots, many of whom have advanced degrees. What we have to know, and the skills and knowledge that we have to apply every day, equals any white collar job and has in the past, and should be considered and compensated at white collar/professional pay rates.
Since when have we come to believe that our knowledge and skills are at the level of blue collared workers. Not to disrespect that workforce.

I have one question.

What are pilots doing to improve any of the mentioned issues throughout this board? I read thread after thread of bitches and complaints but I rarely see anyone with a solution to any of the problems the regionals have.

It's just a question. Don't rip my head off and sh!t down my neck for asking.

405 said:
I have one question.

What are pilots doing to improve any of the mentioned issues throughout this board? I read thread after thread of bitches and complaints but I rarely see anyone with a solution to any of the problems the regionals have.

It's just a question. Don't rip my head off and sh!t down my neck for asking.

Nothing, nada, zilch, 0!! Because airline pilots have no courage to do the right thing anymore. Look at the problems the TWU is causing in NYC. Can you Imagine the problems caused if all the airline pilots of the nation took a work action. I would LOVE to see what would happen if every airline pilot walked off the job until management at every airline agreed in good faith to remedy the problems we have. I know it's unrealistic, but it's my fantasy.

I believe ones salary and QOL should also be based upon ones importance to society. And as a group only 80,000 strong, we could bring air transport to its knees!! I realize I am starting to sound like a Klingon, and I like it!

I don't think the flying public really knows what pilots are paid. I would assume that they might care that a brand new regional FO (to them, a pilot up front flying the plane) makes $18-22K a year starting out. It just isn't right in my opinion and I'm not even a pilot.

All of you need to get together and do something. I don't have any idea what the solution is. You all need to figure that out for yourselves.

Latest resources

Back