Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If Age 65 goes forward, how will that affect CAL's hiring or retirements?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ha, I make more as an ExpressJet CA than you do as a CAL FO. Also, maybe I cannot predict the future, but I do see a future at CAL as being very bleak.

Low pay, no insurance (even WalMart pays insurance), horrible schedules with PBS, no chance at upgrading when the age 65 is passed next week, and then a merger with United where CAL pilots will be screwed. Have fun with all that zonker. You will be living with that contract for 5 more years! Yah baby!

No thanks.

OK I am pretty sure you are a flamer but...

Crappy Scheds.... I have been on line at CAL a year and get 16 days off a month with 3 weekends off... oh and productive too. Real crappy

Low pay-- year 3 737 pay is within dollars of 6th year capts pay at Xjet and oh yeah you top out a little higher... Short sighted

Merger with UAL... If CAL and UAL merge Xjet will be forced to big against MESA, CHQ, SKYWest for thier flying... oh but the branded flying will save you. 50 seats are the future. Yep I might get screwed in the merger but you my friend will be on the street just as fast and you wont have a seniority number to go back to.

I will grant you that it is pretty offensive that I had to go 6 months w/o insurance... Thats what contract time is for... and oh Xjet makes you wait 6 months for insurance too. I want it do get better so instead of sitting thier and whining about it Im volenteering my time to help make it better.

Enjoy the RJ... that probably all your going to see for a long time.

Ha, I make more as an ExpressJet CA than you do as a CAL FO. Also, maybe I cannot predict the future, but I do see a future at CAL as being very bleak.

Low pay, no insurance (even WalMart pays insurance), horrible schedules with PBS, no chance at upgrading when the age 65 is passed next week, and then a merger with United where CAL pilots will be screwed. Have fun with all that zonker. You will be living with that contract for 5 more years! Yah baby!

No thanks.

No you don't. I make more than you and I do a whole lot less for it.

For example, last week I flew EWR-HNL-EWR and I was paid 20:10 for a 3 day trip. Then I took a week off.

What'd you do in your little turd cutter RJ?

You're not the first to call me a fool for my decision. But I'd argue that only a fool would fly for a major airline that has a worse contract than their regional affiliate, and especially a fool to work for a major airline where you must go without health benefits for you and your family for half a year.

Have fun with all that for the next four to five years. I'll stay at XJT until I get a better job than CAL.

I have to agree that the new hire contract is a very hard thing to live through, especially if you have a family. The one thing you are forgetting though is that you are not here for just a year, you wouldn't be here for just one contract. For most of the new hires we will be here 20, 25 or more years. Continental has the newer airplanes (with more on order), route structure and management team that will insure a bright future for this airline. With that success will come better pay, better rules and a better future for us when those next contracts come. Can you say that about all the other airlines? A very few.

Pocono, I don't think your a fool, I can understand why you turned it down. I can't say I didn't have second thoughts about it, but if you take a second to look at the big picture, your choice may have been different. Hopefully, you will get that next chance that your waiting for. In the end you will only know if you made the right decision after you hang it up at retirement. Good luck.

I will grant you that it is pretty offensive that I had to go 6 months w/o insurance... Thats what contract time is for... and oh Xjet makes you wait 6 months for insurance too. I want it do get better so instead of sitting thier and whining about it Im volenteering my time to help make it better.

flatspin7,

XJT's waiting period for medical benefits is 3 months. That was changed from 6 months effective 12/1/04 with the signing of the new contract.

-Neal

Argue all you want. You're still a putz for staying at a regional.

CAL doesn't have a good contract. But we have the best scope clause in the industry, and we can work on the rest.

Guy's who cares? If this guy wants to stay at xpress. That's fine. He may have done the CAL pilots a favor.

Last edited:
Guy's who cares? If this guy wants to stay at xpress. That's fine. He may have done the CAL pilots a favor.

I'll second that. The guy made a bold decision, and it could be a great one. I hope he does well, but let's try and prove him wrong on CAL.

Seriously, how are we going to deal with this change at CAL? Any chance we can surplus them to the bottom of the list?

Pocono:

I don't think anybody cares what you decided to do, but you are obviously very proud of your decision, so much that you decided to post it several times on Flight Info. Good for you. The only person who probably cares is the CAL pilot who went to bat for you to get you an interview. Just curious why you would interview if you weren't going to take the job. You didn't know you had to wait for health insurance? Maybe you should do a little more due diligence before you interview somewhere next time. That way you could concentrate on the jobs that you really want. I sure hope you didn't spend any money preping for a crappy CAL job, that would really be a kick in your pants. Good luck.

Last edited:
No you don't. I make more than you and I do a whole lot less for it.

For example, last week I flew EWR-HNL-EWR and I was paid 20:10 for a 3 day trip. Then I took a week off.

What'd you do in your little turd cutter RJ?

Yeah, unless you're in the top 30-40% on the sub-base staffing you'll rarely get this kind of a trip.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back