Idiot trying to fly a helicopter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FL000 said:
I didn't think the audio was all that great. I couldn't even hear him say, "hey y'all, watch this!"

Or the "Holy sh*t!" that he said as he went up uncontrolled.

I think he was still close enough to the camera that we should have heard that expletive as soon as he started to move that cyclic around.

don't you all know these guys??

at my airport, they sit around in their shack/"hangar" all day, every day in lawn chairs, drinking some cheap @ss swill. their expert eyes judge and grade every take off and landing, most critically, of aircraft they have never flown (especially those requiring type ratings), and usually can't even identify properly. when dusk comes, on the calmest of days, their miscreant squadron of mismatched home-builts and duct-taped antiques take flight in curious formations to menace the skies during the last remaining light. some of them are actually rated as private pilots (yet are quick to dodge even the faintest question about their last flight review). the rest, well... who knows? any time their flying involves a cross country, its to go rescue one of their kings who through expert planning got his airplane stranded in the middle of nowhere in conditions that exceeded his demonstrated skill level. every one is a "airplane mechanic," and would quickly tell you what, "you ain't got to legally do," or "i'll get 'cha one at auto zone," and that airplanes don't need to have retractable gear or moving parts, "cuz them's is maint'nance hogs!" guess lears should scoot around with their sneakers down. guess all of those highly educated engineers who design faster more efficient aircraft are just smoking crack. heaven forbid that for increased safety you would ever go beyond the bare minimun of legal requirements for anything, especially if it cost you a few extra bucks.

when i saw this clip, i thought for sure that somebody left their helicopter unattended around these folks, but i was wrong. the situation is worse than i thought, as it appears possible that many airports other than mine might have knuckle heads of their own.

if any of you have a crowd of winners such as this at your airport, or one you've visited, lets hear stories. we can't shoot them down, no matter how many mid-airs they try to cause, so lets laugh at them.

lamont

Sanford, I or anyone else may not approve of some of their methods, but some of those guys know more about whats really going on under the cowl of the airplane than you ever will.

Not all mind you, but there are a number of them who I would rather crash land on a glacier with than an A&P mechanic.

broad assumption

to say that one person knows more than another person will EVER know, is a very broad assumption. if you are suggesting not judge a book by its cover, accepted, and i certainly, in this situation, am not. i've met my share of darn-near rocket scientists disguised as ag pilots or as an a&p apprectice on some back woods grass strip. these are not the guys to which i refere.

in my above post, i wasn't slamming doit yourself legitimate/supervised aircraft mechanics. that stuff is great. i have a particular gang in mind, who's antics just popped into my head when i saw this clip.

if or when you meet you area's version of this gang, you will know it, and understand.

maybe i'm all wet and you guys have no idea what i'm running on about. guess my buddies are just a local result of aviation inbreeding.

fly safe.

lamont

p.s. the way these guys do things, i wouldn't be suprised to see them on a glacier some time!

Last edited:
Sanford&son

That is the funniest most accurate post I have ever read on this board, it describes in exact detail the airport and the airport bums where I fly. In fact, what is your name we may be flying out of the same airport.

Laughing my A$$ off.

But if ever the perverbial shiyat hits the fan I would rather be sitting beside some of those guys than some of these astronauts flying around boeings.

Dirt

I know the kind of guys you are talking about... when they sell a plane and you tell them to deliver it to XYZ for a pre- buy inspection, they reply "well I just sold it to somebody else."

Helos

I will probably look something like that on my 1st helo flight. I got my ship dates for the Army and signed my contract yesterday. I leave 30 April 02. I have plenty of time and dont have a steady job right now so I plan to take a FEW helo lessons, providing I can come up with a little chunk of cash. Im looking foward to being dual rated.

B J J, you will have a blast. Just relax and let it happen. That’s the way you learn to hover. Tell you what though. I would not bother to take lessons unless you have a lot of money and nothing else better do with it. One thing the Army and the civilians do differently is the way the hover is taught. The army will use intimidation through frustration where the civilians will use the building block method. I will expound on that if you want but you will get a dose of both in time. Just have fun. "Use the force"
j

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back