• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Idea of airliners flown by solo pilots gains ground

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Those are the incapacitations that r reported. There are sudden or is it subtile incapacitations that are resolved by the other pilot routinely that go unreported. Then there are pilots that don't even know that they are impaired due to fatigue, but do a good job with checks and balances between them and the automation.

Embraer displays their disconnect with the reality of line flying, and the contempory airline industry.

With drone technology as a back up single pilot will be possible if the flying public accepts it. Remote control airliner. The technology will be here in 10 years, but not the public. I think they would rather pay an extra $5 a ticket.

The articles always cite pilot incapacitation as the main safety drawback to single pilot ops, but to me the biggest safety risk is the fact that you're losing one brain and one set of eyes in the cockpit. The system of cross-checking that is in place now would be non-existent if we go to single pilot. Nobody ever mentions that

How retro!....

So the one-and-only pilot is just going to leave the cockpit unattended while he uses the lav?

Hopefully this idea will die a quick death...

....I guess "relief tubes" will be making a comeback in a major way! : - :)laugh:

Won't happen for a loooong time. Flying public won't go for it, FAA won't go for it, insurance certainly won't.

The cheapest piece of insurance you can have on a plane is the second pilot!

Latest resources

Back