Iceing storys in GA airplanes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ice

When I was a cfi a fellow instructor and I took up an arrow to go practice some approaches. We had just leveled of not more than 5 min after take off and the gear went down on its own. We kinda stared each other like a couple of confused dogs for a few seconds. Then the ah ha light went off. The arrow had some little pitot tube looking thing that was connected to the gear system. When airspeed dropped below 120-130mph the gear automatically extended. We turned around and shed the ice after descending about 500 ft. It was a very humbling and eye opening experience. My advice, if its forecasted don't go. You could get no ice or too much.

supsup

I was in a 182 on a cross country once, and even though there weren't many clouds out, I got splattered with ice going through a single cumulus cloud for about 30 seconds. Since that day I've never seen ice accumulate so fast. The rest of the trip was clear so we continued, but it goes to show how quickly a plane can get into a situation where an "out" is absolutely needed. I don't like flying IFR when it's cold out with no ice prevention/shedding ability.

If you want people to take you seriously, you seriously need to learn how to spell. Hucked on foniks werks four yew! Good luck getting anybody to respond due to your immature response.

Are you serious? If you disapprove of a spelling error then dont reid da postss cause i dont rememember axing you opiomon on how speelin on any of mi words.i really dont want to loose ur reskect cause u must be like close to 60 yrs age. u must hang out wif ur cal buddies and ax their veiw about grammor.

Get a freaking grip man!!!! You must be an awsome guy to fly with or be around for that matter!!!!

Was in a Columbia 400. Surface temp was 5 C. I got into the undercast at 3000 AGL and out of the tops at 6000 AGL. Ice didn't start to accumulate until 4000 AGL. In those 2000' my climb rate went from 1500 to 900 FPM. If that layer was much thicker I wouldn't be here today. Dumb dumb dumb. The pressure of trying to get my passengers where they wanted to go almost killed us all.

I got ice on the way down in a Cherokee 180. Had climbed to 11,500 to stay on top, but the clouds kept rising. An airport about 35nm ahead was reporting 7000 overcast, so I figured I would make my way down and it would be OK. Ice started adhering as soon as I hit the clouds, and didn't stop all the way down. I wound up declaring an emergency and landing at a small airport with an estimated 300 foot ceiling and less than 2 miles visibility. This was in the days before GPS, and I didn't have DME. I didn't have enough altitude to get to the IAP for the approach - so I consider myself lucky for not having hit anything.

The plane had over 3 inches of ice on the leading edge and windshield, and it extended on the bottom of the wing at least a foot. Full power yielded a nice 500 fpm descent.

I'm glad summer is here!

My winter job involves flying a C90 and looking for icing conditions, for cloud seeding to increase snowpack over the mountains. Scared myself more than once, with some rapid buildup that required full power to keep flying.

What's wrong with this picture:

• At night
  • Over the Rocky mountains
  • 12,000'
  • Pa28
Then they issue an Airmet for icing.
We spent about a minute in IMC and you could see the ice grow on the leading edge.
Took another hour and a half for the ice to sublimate off in VMC
One of the 4-5 oh-sh-t moments in my flying life.
Don't mess with ice.

Latest resources

Back