• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Icao Atpl

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I must add to that. A basic FAA ATP and 1500 hours will not always suffice.

Per the ICAO, only 50% of SIC time can be credited towards the 1500. Here in the US, we don't do it that way.

Also, PIC credtiting towards the 250-500 depending on country, is rewarded differently also. Here in the US you can have two people in one airplane logging PIC. ie. instructor and commercial student. The ICAO does not respect this practice.

Cheers,

Hi!

I would also like to know more about this.

Who gives out ICAO licenses?

From reading the above, when I reach the hourly limits I can take a checkride somewhere and get it?

What is the "250-500".

I have seen a number of international jobs that look interesting, and that I would be qualified for in the future.

How much does getting this license cost?

Also, is this the one required in Canada (I think no, that they have yet another type of license that is good only in Canada?)

Thanks for any info!

Cliff
GRB

Transport Canada ATPL is ICAO recognized, as is the FAA, but T.C. awards hours the exact way the ICAO authorizes.

As for the 250-500, there are 1 or two countries, I believe, not sure, that require 500 PIC. Either way number one rule is you cannot have two people logging PIC in the aircraft at the same time, and only 50% SIC counts towards total time.

I found this out the hard way when I was becoming T.C rated, and I could not even hold a commercial with over 450 TT and 160 PIC FAA time. An inspector has to evaluate your logbook. You have to give it to them for a few weeks.

As I understand it back in the day if you were a copilot you could log half your time in the right seat as PIC. Obviously that no longer applies in the US, but do you know if any other countries still accept a percentage of your right seat time as PIC?

Yes, 100 hours of the standard 250 PIC may be logged as PIC under supervision. This goes for both the JAA and Transport Canada.

I was checking into the same thing and found a good webiste at http://www.proifr.com/proifr/pro-ifr-faa-frame.htm . I emailed the owners a few times, they respond quickly.

If you already have the hours, you have to take several written exams and a checkride. Since I have been flying as FO, I am not current with PIC time (50 hours recently) so in addition to the ATPL ride, I would also need a ride to show instrument currency.

They offer weekend courses for passing the written exam. The good news, is if you have flown as an FE (50 hours in the past six month) you can get the ICAO license just for taking the transport canada medical, and letting someone exam your logbooks for awhile.

Good luck!

Hi!

I'm getting more info, but am still not sure what to do.

I have my AMEL-ATP (US). Let's say I want to apply, for example, to Emirates-they require an ICAO ATPL.

Where do I go, what do I need to do, and how much will it cost?

Cliff
GRB

Latest resources

Back