• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I was mean to a little old lady

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was checking into a hotel once when a little old lady approached and asked what time we were leaving. She pointed out the window at a bus. I nodded, checked the departure time, and told her. She asked if I would be her driver. I told her I didn't think so, but I would be more than pleased to be her driver, and told her I hoped I saw her on the bus. She was all smiles when she left.

Checking into a hotel once, we asked the rate. They told us. We asked the government rate. They told us. It was worse. We asked what got the best rate. Turns out it was a truck driver. They asked what we did, we told them we were truck drivers. They said fine, what kind of truck do you drive? We said "belly dump." (We were flying a tanker, dropping mud). We got the discount. No further explaination required.

Now when people ask, they see the epaulets, they see the tie, the see what used to be my hair, combed and trimmed as much as I dare. I tell them I drive the bus in the parking lot. Never get asked twice.

However, if you're having trouble fending off that first question, "Are you a pilot?," I suggest one of the following openers to guide you in your conversation:

"No, ma'am, I'm not. But ever since I got put on the child sex offender list, I find this uniform helps keep the reporters off my back. Say, that's a nice daughter you have there. How old is she?"

"No, Sir. I just wear this snazzy set of threads cuz the chicks dig it. I like brunettes. Petite ones, like that one by your side. She's your wife? Cooool, if you dig me. Heeey, babe, I'm a pilot. What do you think about that?"

"No, sir. I'm wearing this uniform to cover up my leperosy. It helps me meet people who would otherwise turn away in disgust. May I shake your hand?"

"Pilot? Yes, sir. I'm here volunteering for the Salvation Army, taking the time to collect for Friends of Katrina. How about a big, hearty donation in the name of the Lord?"

"Pilot? Yes, I was, until those blood sucking leaches in management furloughed my ass. Now I roam hotels looking for people upon whom to feed until my unemployment kicks in. Will you be my friend?"

"Pilot, und zchekersplit zie doy? Nichen und farfegnugen lolipop, und est wilderspaden nogoot. Funda, kunda, wunda, ert, ert zie splat. Goobledegok, ein schwein trein spline ascot balderdash zie die. Unt, hile hitler!"

"Pilot, I whast ah piwlot, wot befwhore I gonean marie ie ied the bottle. In juhst twelfsh schteps I, ah, I can fly again. You wahnna go?"

"Well, sort of a pilot. I mean, I fly. Sometimes. At night. To visit my children. We go together, my children and I. My children of the night. We go, to suck the blood, I mean visit the fair people of this great city. In the night. We go. Yes. Has anyone ever told you, madam, that you have lovely veins in your neck? I thought so."

Those usually work for me, and you're welcome to try them. Or you could come up with your own. It's not as hard as you might think and then you can stop abusing little old ladies. Unless you like it...

"you know, i guess what they say is true: senior citizens, though slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose. i'll be right back.... don't go dyin' on me!!"

CA1900 said:
"So, what kind of plane do you fly?"

I can't take it anymore. I finish chewing my bite as she stares at me, waiting patiently for my reply. "Listen bitch, I haven't the time to suffer through your relentless, idiotic questions. Shut your mouth so I can eat my f***ing breakfast"!!!

Eyes go wide. "What, so you don't want me to talk to you, then?"

Dude, that's really harsh.

Heyas,

I just put in a pair ear phones from an iPod or other similar device. It gives everyone the clue that I'm not listening to them. Most of the time they're not even plugged in, and the plug is just stuck in my pocket.

You can also use a phone headset, but then you have to come up with 1/2 of a conversation.

Nu

CA1900 said:
As soon as I get downstairs, I run into my FO and two little old ladies at the table next to ours. I politely said "good morning" as I headed to the cereal dispenser, and the questions started...
You missed out on a perfect opportunity to get your chicken deboned...little old ladies need loving too, doncha know?

what I hate is when you are riding in a long, slow, elevator with a bunch of people. I try and just stare straight ahead, but you can see in the corner of your eye that they are locking in to your epaulets, id tags, name tag etc to see what you do. I sometimes just want to look at them and say BAM!

Latest resources

Back