• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I was ashamed of my school for the first time yesterday

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I always say to those who paid dearly for their flight training in universities that my certificate looks exactly like theirs and it only cost me a fraction of what they paid via fbo's.

(they're technical schools. It's not an "education", it's a trade. It's like being a plumber)

With two very significant differences:

1) The plumber paid much less to get his training
2) The plumber makes substantially more fixing a toilet than a pilot ever will flying a $hitcan.

To answer your question. Yes I did stop and introduce myself and edjucate him. Well I tried anyway. (He didn't seem to care). As I said there is a lot that sucks about the school (i get it), but I was never ashamed of it. I had a great time there and a lot of great people come out of the school, but this guy is the reason we have a bad name.

Trust me, this guy is not why you have a bad name!

<--------used to live in Grand Forks, ND. At the time, I was commuting to Fargo, ND (75 miles) to work on my Private/Instrument. My Private cost me about $3000, and at the time UND was charging over $6500. Not counting books, and tuition for college.

I did a BFR once with a UND flight instructor. I think I know where all the extra money goes. I think they memorize and practice reciting the FAR/AIM in class for three days of at least one semester.

But that don't make better pilots is my point. I still live close enough (Minneapolis, MN) to know when their planes crash.

I can fly as good as any of them can, and at a fraction of the cost . . .a University a better pilot don't make.

I meant to say 3 days a week for at least one semester.

Oh, and I don't have one single hour of sim time yet. All of my 340 is actual airplane time, and it cost me alot less than some University sim time.

PS. You're a plumber. Your "education" is a tick on a computer screen. You know it, we know it. You're a technician. You're a cog.

My flight training was from a trade school (off campus), but ERAU is a fully accredited university and has been for over 80 years. Therefore, I must assume that you're trying to pick a fight, or you're just misinformed.
I'll assume the former since I don't know you well enough to verify the latter. If I'm wrong, speak up.
I experienced ERAU first hand; it was a good school. I know what it's about and what it has to offer; and I would do it all over again if I could. It was a great experience.

Oh, and I don't have one single hour of sim time yet. All of my 340 is actual airplane time, and it cost me alot less than some University sim time.

I'm not a riddle grad, but there's nothing wrong with sim time built into a syllabus. Personally, I believe you should have some sim time for your IR. At least 20-30 hrs or so. It's cheaper than an airplane and you can do a lot more instruction with it since you don't have to worry about ATC, among other outside factors.

Latest resources

Back