• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I want to be a pilot! Please help!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here is a real simple way to figure your future in aviation. Let's just plan to go from Miami to Anchorage. Jump in a jet and it will take you 8 to 9 hours. Figure how long it will take you in a train. Next figure how long it will take you to drive. Next figure how long it will take you by boat. For fun figure a bike, and walking, and even a horse. Divide that time into the averge lifetime of 70 years and look at the percentage. Unless someone invents some kind of beaming device, airplanes are here to stay.

Another vote for one step at a time.

Flight lessons in the Northeast are running about $125/hr. That'll burn a hole in your pocket real fast.

As to accessories - let that wise CFI be your guide.

I tell my private students not to buy a single thing until they have flown three hours. Why? The first lesson is all thrill. The second lesson is a sleep walk where you show up and try to learn. And on the third lesson, you will learn that this is a fun adventure that takes a lot of work. If you show up for a fourth lesson, I'm going to introduce you to a nice Jeppesen Private Pilot Kit. I'm going to give you one of my copies of Sporty's catalog and I'm going to tell you the three options in buying headsets (Short term thinking, long-term thinking and "if you've got money"). Then I'm going to make my boss happy and talk to you about "block time", the needs for charts, a good medical examiner, our ground school, our CD courses, etc, etc. Every thing I suggest will be tailored to you: the student and customer.

Tarp hit the nail on the head. One step at a time.

As for headsets I like the David Clarks. Mine have done quite well!

Your instructor will have good insight into what items to buy if you decide that you like flying.

Flying is a great pastime!! Work hard on your training to be the safest pilot you can be and enjoy it all along the way. I'm glad I learned to fly and I always encourage people to learn to fly for pleasure.

Fly safe, eriknorth.

Kilomike

I think everyone is in agreement on this subject, take a few lessons first, and make sure you WANT to do this. I have known alot of people who have taken a lesson then had the instructor sell them everything in the FBO's shop and they never came back. If you can put in the time and effort then nothing is as satisfying as earning your pilots wings. As far as headsets, I suggest spending a little more money and getting one that will last you. For the money, David Clarks are by far the best value. A little exspensive, but they'll last you all the way through the regional level.

Another note is to get your medical exam before you plop down bookoo bucks if you just have to have the toys. GPS, Clarks, handheld things, Jepp bags etc will just collect dust if you can't pass you medical- god forbid.

There was a guy in my class that this happend to. He bought Clarks, hand held gps, and a radio...flew about 15 hours, only to find out he couldn't pass the 3rd class. Never saw the kid again after that.

As far as holding off a bit to but things isn't a bad idea. It seems everybody has focused on that a lot and ignored the rest of your question.

As far as headsets go comfort for you is what counts. Do not buy the Bose they seem good at first but break frequently. Several friends have them and they LOVE them but, frequently when I fly with them one of them isn't working. Last night after flying about an hour and a half my head was hurting from them.
David Clark makes a good headset and used to be the only show in town so their prices are high. A lot of people buy the David Clarks because thats what the pros use and that will make them look like one along with their new Ray Ban sun glasses. Well, those days are over. I used to own a David Clark and an AvComm. I sold the David Clark and bought two more AvComms for the same money. For me the AvComms were more comfortable and have held up great.
ANR headsets are great for small planes. I added it to two of my headsets. Noise Cancellation Inc. makes an upgrade unit you can add to your headset at a later date or you can can buy their headset. A friend just bought one of these and a Lightspeed. I'll keep you posted on how he likes each headset.

I have an Icom handeld (IC-A22) and love it. I know of a few people who had problems with Sporty's handheld. Both Yaesu and Icom are well respected names in the radio business. I didn't like the sound quality from the speaker that is in the small Yaesus. I don't know how the sound quality is from the small Icom. If you are only getting it as a back up and will always use a headset adapter then this doesn't matter. In the airplane the headset adapter is a must. As a backup the alkaline pack makes more sense because alkalines store well and don't lose power sitting around like NiCd or NiMh batteries do. I use the NiMh pack for everyday use but I keep an Alkaline pack in the bag for back up.

Good luck with your flying and fly safe. Enjoy.

Medical

I'll second the comment about getting your medical first. I did NOT do that. I recall seeing the doctor about the same time I started my lessons. I have a condition that required the FAA to issue my initial medical. The AME, who was a good guy, assured me that I would be issued a medical. Nonetheless, aviation was new to me and I had heard horror stories about being denied medicals on the first issuance. I am sure that concern over my medical distracted my concentration. I was living in OKC and was able to pick up my medical personally from the Monroney Center. It took a month to receive it. I recall soloing only a few days later.

Thanks for all your input. Now a couple of followup questions. What exactly does the medical exam consist of and what are common problems that people have that make them not pass it? Also, I keep hearing about "getting your wings." What exactly does this mean and when does it happen? OPne kmore thing...is height a factor in flying? I am 6'5", and have wondered about this. Thanks
-Clay

Latest resources

Back