• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

eriknorth

:confused:
Hello to all,
I am currently a student at the University of Georgia, but I wish to expand my hobby and possibly career as a pilot. I am looking into getting a transciever and headset. Please, could you tell me what is considered good and bad among pilots? I am looking at the Yaesu Pilot Aviator or Icom transcievers. As far as the headsets go, I have no idea, maybe Telex? Please tell me what my best choices for these items would be, and also any other advice for a new pilot. Thanks yall!
-Clay (eriknorth)

Before you buy a headset, take a discovery flight. I assume by your note and profile you have zero hours.

Most discovery flights allow one to fly quite a bit to see what it is like. Some schools offer discounts for first timers and you lcould probably go up for an hour for around $35-$55.

Also, most schools will rent you headsets. oNce your hooked and know your going to persue training then go out and spend your cash on a headset.

just a thought.

thanks

Thanks. I do plan on taking that flight asap. But after I get back in my car after the flight and can't stand my money burning a hole in my pocket, what kind of stuff do I get?

Do a search on "headsets" here on the forum. There are about 15 threads on headsets with different models and cost.

I like David Clark, I think I currently use the 10-30 series. Find one that fits your budget and feels good and seals good. One headset that fits a person well won't fit the next. I have a big head (literally) and the Clarks work well for me. There are less expensive sets like Avcom that work just as well.

For training you should be able to find something very well made and comfortable for under $150.00-185.00.

Last edited:
Take it one step at a time, though. Buy things as you need them, so that you don't overequip yourself right off the bat. Take for example any movie about war. The new guy coming into the platoon is almost always wearing the most stuff, stuff that is great in theory, but that they will never need in actual combat. The battle hardened old timers know that the guy is new and has a long way to go.

In much the same way, I've discovered that it is true in flying as well. There is the classic weekend warrior who comes to the C-172Heavy with full on GPS, backup handheld radio, the latest ANR headsets, plotter, E6B :)eek: ), and the ever popular cloud clearance sight level .

Now, that being said, I'm not discounting the use of GPS or any other useful tool when it gives you an advantage (well, maybe the sight level), but seriously, save your money and ask your instructor what you will need. You may be surprised to find that all that stuff won't amount to much for what you are doing starting out. Buy things as you need them.

Good luck,
Flyer7SA

My suggestion for a begining headset is the AV COMM PNR-900. Its a great headset with the reliabillity of a DC, but it has the same features as a DC but $100 cheaper.

I would not suggest getting ANR (noise canceling) until instrument training, even when you do get it avoid using it below 1000 ft AGL.

A transciever can wait, I would get the stuff that you are going to need first, kneeboard, E6B, plotter etc.

I agree with everyone... Set your goals one step at a time...

Ask around about headset's, not every headset is for everyone, either in fit, comfort, or pocketbook. Whichever you get, you need to realize this may be the one that you have for year(s).

The aviation industry is one of the worst when it comes to bells and whisltes and gadgets of any type, and before I forget NAME... That is why Sporty's is so rich, and Bose headset's go for $1,000. Try not to fall prey into the gadget's or the bell's and whistle's and hopefully not the name.

Get what you need for now, and what you will need for your private. You will figure out somewhere later on what you really did not need..

Heck, if I could give back all of the gadgets I have sitting in my closet I could probably paid for at least one of my ratings, and I am sure others will agree!

Pilot "Accessories"

I second Don and everyone about going hogwild on pilot accessories. Over the years, I dropped plenty of good money on pilot gadgets, in particular searching for the perfect kneeboard. I never found one, ever. Every one I tried turned out to be more of a nuisance than a help. It turned out my instructor was right when he told me just to fold the sectional in half and put it on my lap. When I went with students, I used just a good old standard-issue clipboard. It worked just fine. So much for all of the Sporty's doohickies.

I realize these things are sitting there in the FBO pilot shop, virtually screaming out, "Buy Me!" There are so many gadgets that turn out to be so much junk after you buy them and are such a waste of money.

You don't need headsets, yet. Good ones are expensive. Wait until you actually start flying before you spend the money. You don't need a transceiver yet, either, if ever. I remember buying some $15 jobbie at Radio Shack that I used for years to listen to ATIS and ATC. I realize it looks way cool to carry an aeronautical hand-held around. If you feel the need to get something more expensive, purchase a scanner and program it to aircraft frequencies.

Really, do yourself a favor. Spend your money on an intro flight. :)

Last edited:
If you still haven't taken that intro flight yet, I'm not sure what the going rate is, but you should visit www.beapilot.com. It offers discounts on those types of flights, and is a good place to familiarize yourself with options out there in flight training. I think it is sponsored by AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots' Association), and a number of FBOs. Good luck to you.

HEY AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED THERE IS NOTHING BETTER THAN DAVID CLARK, IVE HAD MY H10-30S FOR MORE THAN 15 YEARS. THEY STILL WORK JUST AS GOOD NOW IN THE CL-65 AS THEY DID WHEN I TOOK MY FIRST INTRODUCTION FLIGHT IN A C152. ALOT OF THE GUYS I FLY WITH SAY THE SAME.

Latest resources

Back