• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I.t. Field for regionals?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just came back to ATL after spending a year in Santa Fe, NM. I'm a PHP/MySQL web app developer and everywhere I've gone here have heard the same thing, "we have more work than we can do and just signed 2 new contracts...have NO idea how we're going to pull this off, when can you start? What's your hourly rate?".

I can't believe how much opportunity exists here.

That pilot shortage you keep hearing about? It's here...it's just not for pilots, it's for programmers/developers.

I took a contract position and am making more money than I've ever made in my life working for/with smart people who are making money and not driving their companies into the ground. Flexible hours, work at home days, nice office, weekends off.

I thought I was going to do this to fill the gap before my LOA expires this summer but the way it's looking there's NO WAY I would leave this to go back to the idiot circus that was my airline.

Good luck if you're stuck...hope it works out for you.

I just came back to ATL after spending a year in Santa Fe, NM. I'm a PHP/MySQL web app developer and everywhere I've gone here have heard the same thing, "we have more work than we can do and just signed 2 new contracts...have NO idea how we're going to pull this off, when can you start? What's your hourly rate?".

I can't believe how much opportunity exists here.

That pilot shortage you keep hearing about? It's here...it's just not for pilots, it's for programmers/developers.

I took a contract position and am making more money than I've ever made in my life working for/with smart people who are making money and not driving their companies into the ground. Flexible hours, work at home days, nice office, weekends off.

I thought I was going to do this to fill the gap before my LOA expires this summer but the way it's looking there's NO WAY I would leave this to go back to the idiot circus that was my airline.

Good luck if you're stuck...hope it works out for you.

Great post, can I ask a couple of questions? What's the ballpark figure you make now? How easy a field is it to get into assuming no IT qualification or experience? Which qualification would you recommend? - Thanks!

A-V-8,

Any company's in particular if I'm interested in the Rig offshore work?

Yes Noble Drilling and TransOcean. Elite is sub sea (You will be on a boat not a rig). My sister is an engineer. Many years in the Oil industry. She advised me to go with those companies. I was hired with Flight Safety on a last second Hail Mary. I started a thread here about a non flying resume for a pilot. Go take a look.

If my sister thought for one second that I would be in danger she would never have recomended those companies.

Great post, can I ask a couple of questions? What's the ballpark figure you make now? How easy a field is it to get into assuming no IT qualification or experience? Which qualification would you recommend? - Thanks!

My hourly rate is 2x starting pay at ASA...and I credit about 40 hrs a week. Perm full time positions pay similarly (I heard $80-95K as expected salaries for senior devs this week).

I've been doing this for 12 years and bring more value than a beginner. Starting out, if you work hard, you're probably 3-4 years out from that kind of money.

I didn't graduate from college, self-educated. It's not so much about certifications as it is being smart, being able to solve problems, knowing how to use your tools and having a good attitude.

I've heard REALLY good things about the O'Reilly school of tech:
http://www.oreillyschool.com/

I'd suggest focusing on front-end client side skills first (HTML/CSS/Javascript), then if interested start looking at server side development (PHP/ASP/Java).

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back