• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I saw this happen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You got that right. Ever had a student threaten to sue you when you told them they were struggling and would spend a lot of money and then threaten to sue you again BECAUSE they spent a lot of money and weren't done?

There's an experience I'd rather not repeat.

By the way, how is it you have instructed when your profile says you are a 200hr PP?

Ya Know I don't post much

Gentelmen,

I am amazed by the profound wisdom of the Message board.

"Ratio of total time to PIC"

What? you never had an "adult" show up for lessons. I have had many 15 hour a year pilots show up at the fbo and need instruction.

Avbug was(a common occurance) correct, a common accident.

You know I have a few hours dual given, not once did someone show up with a "flight suit or binocualrs"

And in my short time as an instructor, I can't recall anyone who couldn't be taught to fly.

Oh wait, yet more, 200 hour, airport cafe experts. Sorry I didn't realize what agust company i was keeping.

Oh Time, Wright, You may or may not have had a chance to Visist Mexico. I happen to live near it, and have traveled in it. Try Guymas, Hermisio<sp> or San Carlos, Guns? well the only guns I saw were on the 18 year old soldiers necks but the beer was cold the women pretty and It is pretty much gringo-ville. meaning my "cerveza por favor" was all the spanish I needed. thankfully.

Take Care

P.S. Beer and flightinfo do not mix

Re: Ya Know I don't post much

Weasil said:
By the way, how is it you have instructed when your profile says you are a 200hr PP?

I am an "aspiring CFI" and I have instructed, mmOkay?

Denizen said:

Oh wait, yet more, 200 hour, airport cafe experts. Sorry I didn't realize what agust company i was keeping.

P.S. Beer and flightinfo do not mix

But Jim Beam works great!

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the Dictionary search box to the right.

Suggestions for agust:

1. egoist
2. august
3. aghast
4. August
5. agist
6. agues
7. agouti
8. egoism
9. egos
10. arroused
11. accost
12. Aust
13. egoists

Last edited:
ouch

Thanks for keeping me honest.

Me and Jim Beam parted ways yeas ago...actually on the road from memphis to millington.

But Dewars and I have a nice relationship.....

Take Care

I am an "aspiring CFI" and I have instructed, mmOkay?

No, not okay.

Teach students full stalls? Yes, absolutely. Teach students touch and go landings? Yes, absolutely. A student should be able to do both.

I would never solo a student who couldn't confidently do a touch and go landing.

One would be insane to do otherwise. Surely you teach a student to go around, don't you? But you don't teach them to go aroundon the runway? That's a touch and go landing...and the student had better be able to do it.

The only time I will insist on a full stop with taxi back is after a power off approach, and then for the sake of the engine, not hte student. Otherwise, only if the student needs a break, the time to talk, runway conditions require it, etc.

100% of the accidents at my company in the last 12 months occured during the takeoff or landing phase of flight.

How many accidents has your company seen in the past year? There's not a lot to hit in flight, but the ground is everywhere, and you stand the greatest chance of hitting it when you get close to it. In my limited experience, this happens at least twice on each flight; usually close to the time you're planning on landing, and frequently about the time you take off. Seems that landing and takeoff accdients might be more prevelant...especially for an operation involving people who are just beginning to learn, instructors who are too young to have opened their eyes yet, and constant trips around the pattern. But that could just be a guess.

At 100 feet agl it is more important to drill into a student the importance of never doing either of this things, because there is NO altitude to recover from a stall/ incipient spin.

Wanna bet? Perhaps you're just teaching the recoveries wrong. After spending a great deal of time never climbing above one hundred feet while in flight, and operating on the edge of a stall and in and out of the stall while performing steep turns at that altitude, I'd have to disagree...but then I'm still learning (as are we all).

I certainly don't recommend teaching students to recover in this distance...but as an instructor one should understand that it can be done, in case on ever needs to do it. Too often instructors frighten students into their graves by creating a lifelong fear of slow flight and stall recoveries...those mind-bending pushovers that leave the student feeling as though their testicles are floating by their adams apple, in a dramatic effort to recreate some great moment on a microsoft flight simulator. Why can't instructors teach stalls with the nose below the horizon, and recoveries that truly involve decreasing AoA one degree...instead of 30?

A frightened student doesn't learn, a frightened student makes mistakes when the chips are down. A frightened student does as the one in the accident report did. But don't blame that on a touch and go landing, or the use of full-stall training by the instructor.

The only solo landing requirement listed in part 61 in fact is to do 3 full stop landings. And why do you think recent experience requirements require you to do your landings to a full stop if in a tailwheel aircraft or at night? Could it be because the full stop portion is considered more challenging then merely doing a crash and go...? Food for thought

Where is this only solo requirement located?

Do you not understand why full stop landings in a conventional gear airplane are required, where in a nosewheel airplane, they are not? It has nothing to do with challenging, or otherwise. In fact, a touch and go can be more challenging in a conventional gear airplane. How does this apply?

105viking said:
"The pilot's logbook showed the pilot had 109 hours of total flight time and 6 hours of pilot in command time."

Have the regs changed since my last instructor gig? I thought the holder of a student pilot certificate can only log "dual received" or "solo". Solo is not PIC on a student pilot certificate.

Re: Ya Know I don't post much

Denizen said:
Gentelmen,

What? you never had an "adult" show up for lessons. I have had many 15 hour a year pilots show up at the fbo and need instruction.

You know I have a few hours dual given, not once did someone show up with a "flight suit or binocualrs"

And in my short time as an instructor, I can't recall anyone who couldn't be taught to fly.

so i may have a few more than 200hrs.

this accident report just reminded me of a couple of the stand-outs of my years in flight instruction.

in general, it is very rare that somebody CANNOT learn to fly, but it happens.

wasn't trying to amaze anybody. ...back to the cafe.

105VIKING

Nobody's mentioned it so I will. How can a student pilot have 6 hours of PIC time? We all know pre-private solo time is not loggable as PIC.

Next, this hasn't evolved into a large pro/con touch-n-go discussion but I'll put in my two cents. I found that it just depended on the student. Some handled the higher situational awareness required to touch-n-go better than others. Hence, most students I soloed I instructed to touch-n-go but others I had do only full-stop taxibacks.

Dude

Latest resources

Back