I really need some advice.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
747 at united

I have a friend who's a 747 driver at united, left seat. He said that probally 90% of the people he works with, have second jobs. And many of them own their own business or have a higher end white collar job and use flying as a great hobby/job they get paid for.

Me personally I'm 21 and hopefully freigh dog going regional real soon. I graduated from high school, got my ratings, and started instructing. I'm currently working on an aviation degree and having fun.

The only reason you should go into aviation, is IF and a huge IF you have a huge pation for flying, and money is not a huge problem for you. Also if you feel your self being the go get em type that could find some type of slick job to be able to do while you fly (web site design or graphics design) something where your not tied down then you could get into aviation. I have a few friends who are scrapin by and have no promise of going anywhere quick as a pilot.

Hope this helps your decision.
Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, I've done it and weather or not you do it, depends on your feelings.

I personally knew I wanted to be a pilot and can run another business on the side and do just fine....others as you can see not soo happy...not that they aren't great people but....they just choose not to be go get ers.

although it can be done...GET THE DEGREE!!!...i know quit a few people..myself included who left school early for airline jobs while attempting to finish up their courses online....some finished some didnt.....theres always that what if....what if God forbid you get hit in the eye with a baseball tomorow? gnite airlines....always always always need the degree to fall back on in worst case scenarios....this industry sucks and its not getting any better by the day....a perfect example.....i left school after getting hired by my favorite regional...the super regional....two days before i was supposed to report to class i got a call from HR...class was cancelled...for a number of reasons....Im still waiting for my class...two months later....point being...there is no such thing as job security in this industry and on top of that ya never know what kind of curve ball lifes gonna throw ya....The only positive thing about my class being cancelled is i finished my degree....just my two cents worth hope it helps...PS..the story has a good ending im leaving soon

I understand those of your advice about not getting into the industry. However, being a pilot is all I have ever wanted to do, since I was a little boy. I can't imagine myself doing anything else.

The airline industry is in turmoil right now. Many of you have terrible opinions of the industry. However, before about 8:00AM ET on Sept. 11, 2001, I would be willing to bet none of you had this same opinion. The way I see it, the industry has seen bad times before. Unfortunately this is just one of those industries that is up one day and down the next. I believe things will improve. It is a risky business, and to some extent it is a gamble and comes down to luck. I'm willing to take the gamble to chase a dream. In the mean time, I am getting a degree from a good school so that if I end up as some of you have, furloughed, I do have a backup.

get your college-freakin'-degree first, man. i got my degree and in less than 5 mos i have over 200 hrs and am working on both CMEL and CSEL right now. it's not gonna take you forever to get your ratings.

Don't be a fool. Don't rely on anecdote. And don't listen to
pilotyip when he eventually chimes in.

Get a degree first. And nothing having anything remotely to do with aviation -- unless it's aeronautical enginering.

Then, when that's behind you, then work on your airline career.

When you are eventually turned down at an airline someday, at least you'll know it wasn't due to lack of a degree.

If you want to succeed in aviation, you will. You certainly can suceed without college.

However, without additional skills and/or education you are screwed if you decide to switch careers or if you lose your medical.

Right now, aviation sucks. Get the degree in something you like and then pursue the flying. Then you can make the call.

Don't know how far along you are in your current degree program, but getting "a degree" is, in my opinion, a nebulous concept until you answer a few questions first. What kind of degree are we talking about? What school? Do they have a serious job placement program for their alumni, and are employers regularly coming to them to recruit new talent? (That's a big one.) Are you actually acquiring knowledge you're going to be able to use in the real world (if not, are you at least buying a credential that you know you can cash in for a significant return when you finish)?

I think these days any worthwhile formal education must equip you with some sort of specialized talent, knowledge, title, etc. We're all "well-rounded" enough in this age of information overload. Develop a rare level of expertise in something that will always be in demand. It could be in aeronautics, but an ATP certificate is not going to cut it (and it's hard enough just to get to that point). Just looking at the realistic return on your investment that you can expect for your certificates and ratings, along with a four year degree, you could do better. On the other hand, someone with enough passion for aviation (or anything else) to really distinguish himself in his field beyond the status quo will most likely succeed. It'll just take a lot more time, money, and effort to do it in aviation.

I'm working on it myself, and I honestly don't know if it's worth it or not. In just about any other field, I'd be soooo much further along by now.

Uh say again bro...

On this thread, you asked

PilotOnTheRise said:
I really need some advice from you guys, if you don't mind.

A college degree is VERY important, and I plan to get one. I am currently attending college, and working toward that. However, having your ratings, and building flight time is VERY important as well, if you want to become a pilot. It is hard, however, to do both at the same time. Being a full-time college student, trying to study for your college classes, and study for and earn your ratings at the same time is not easy. That is unless you are getting an aviation degree, where the flying is part of the curriculum, which I am not.

With that said;

Seniority is very important when it comes to the airlines. Obviously the sooner you can get in, the better. I've seen many pilots recommend first getting your flight ratings out of the way, and then getting a job instructing, and eventually at a regional, and then begin working on your degree, as you end up having time. Obviously you will be flying for a regional for plenty of years to afford you the time to complete a degree before moving on to the majors, where the degree is more important.

Should I try to focus on getting my ratings done first, begin instructing, and then try to finish my degree, then try to get on with a regional? Should I get my ratings done first, begin instructing, try to get on with a regional, and then try to finish my degree part-time? Or, should I finish my degree, and then work on my flight ratings, etc.? Each involves getting a degree, but the latter involves getting into the airlines much later on, possibly years, which when it comes to being a pilot, can be a big deal as far as seniority and upgrades, etc., are concerned.

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

However, on another thread, full of wisdom and insight, you offered to the forum, in response to "the state of the industry" (seen from your dorm room)

PilotOnTheRise said:
That is a little extreme, don't you think? Is it really that bad? Even if you stay with a regional for your career, you can make a decent living, especially once you upgrade. I think some of you allow the current state of the industry to fog your thinking so much, that you cannot focus on anything but the bad. There is too much of a 'dooms-day' like attitude about the industry. I would just be thankful you have a job period, because there are plenty of people, even outside of aviation, who do not right now. Things can always be better, and things could always be worse; regardless of how good or bad things are.

Please define "decent living" and also please enlighten us how you (or we) should "just be thankful to have a job, period"

I suppose you support Pay For Your Job also? I suppose a B777 Captain should make $40,000 a year, as he has a "dream job" anyway and he should be lucky "just to have a job"

I'm willing to take the gamble to chase a dream. In the mean time, I am getting a degree from a good school so that if I end up as some of you have, furloughed, I do have a backup.[/quote]

Dude, that's the way to look at it. Don't listen to the grumps. You have to ask yourself this: How passioniate about it are you? If it's just a job with "prestige" and hot flgiht attendants that you're looking for - don't bother. If you are chasing a childhood dream that runs in your veins like blood - do it. Be prepared for a lot more sacrifice along the way. It takes a lot out of you. But be smart and get the degree with another skill. That will be invaluable. Becuause any pilot never knows when the furlough reaper comes calling. Or you lose a medical or any other darn thing. you'll have a one HUGE less headache to worry about.

Latest resources

Back