I-pod use on the flight deck

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pugh said:
This may sound dumb but how do you make sure you don't miss an ATC call, especially if you put the buds between your ears and headset?
turn the radio volume up louder than the ipod. if you've got the headset adapter it will mute the music whenever the radio is active, but if it's busy you'll never get to hear the music.

Atc

Pugh said:
This may sound dumb but how do you make sure you don't miss an ATC call, especially if you put the buds between your ears and headset?

If its important they will call back.

Skyline

Skyline said:
If its important they will call back.
Skyline

If its a particularily good song, just ask them to leave a message with their name and frequency, you'll get right back to them.

yeah. you don't have the music so loud you can't hear the radio. still got a job to do.

thanks fido. hurts my feelings. no. really.

I'm an Iriver guy myself. ;)

I prefer my cassette walkman on a kneeboard while I'm flying my "borrowed" F-16.

I'd like to give a shout-out to my dawg Chappy Sinclaire...

lol. as bad as they were, they were still AWESOME movies. you gotta admit.

my favorite was the c-150 racing the dirtbike. the 150 BARELY won.

lol

yzf6 said:
turn the radio volume up louder than the ipod. if you've got the headset adapter it will mute the music whenever the radio is active, but if it's busy you'll never get to hear the music.

Actually, this method works pretty good. Being an S/O in a DC-10 means there is a LOT of time where not much is going on, so I usually on longer flights have the laptop out and running a game. I still have to keep a listen on Guard, so I do exactly what is specified above...have the earbuds in with the headphones over em. Works great! Plan to do the same thing with a PSP once I'm an F/O...:).

I'd be a little leery of using Bluetooth though. Yea, yea, the frequencies shouldn't be a problem with interference, the transmission power is low, yada yada yada. I've seen too many signal side effects with other hardware and cell phones (which supposedly don't interfere with A/C navigation either) to make me leery of any transmission tech not specified for the A/C.

FastCargo

Well, in our last ops manual revision, our company officially banned all types of 'electronic monitoring' in the cockpit. They even went so far as to ban the time-honored use of the ADF as an audio entertainment device, too!!

I'm sorry, but in this day and age where QOL and pay is going down the $hitter, I'll still tune around for the Opry and my right wing radio ;) All this because a few tools can't manage to walk and chew gum at the same time!

Latest resources

Back