Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ninja,

"Passengers aren't the dumb cattle they once were."

Again, this shows your inexperience in this industry.

Just this last week I had to "not so politely" make a PA after a 2+ hour flow delay, after 3 PAs by me, after 2 PAs from the FA, we still had 2 people on their IPODs and phones.

A little PA from "up front" goes a long way. For some reason PAs from the FA tend not to be complied with, but once they hear the "voice from upfront" it seems to help. That and some nasty stares from other passengers when they hear of another 2-3 hour delay, cuz' they lack the common decency to comply with instructions.

Oh Ninja Ninja Ninja... you armchair quarterbacking the captain in question is no different then that pax armchair quarterbacking him.

I'll bet a stack of high-society (sorry, couldn't resist the "Rounders" slang) that the crew was on the last turn of a 4 day, possibly extended to the 5th or 6th day, trip. At that point, the crew is tired and doing their damndest to keep a smiling face on. Believe me, it is not at all amusing to get some pax who thinks he is the representative for all the pax on that plane and decides to challenge your authority and knowledge.

Would you walk into your stock broker's office the moment your fund lost 3% and you think he should've seen it coming because you "did some research on your own"? I doubt you would, and why? Because you know he knows more. I'll admit, there are other ways to get the point across to that passenger that could have been better, but if he were on my plane, he will get the point one way or the other. Perhaps something like this:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I realize some of you have the ability to view realtime weather on your PDA's and such, but you need to understand that just because you don't see anything or the forecast says neh to rain/storms, keep in mind that there are a lot more dynamics to weather than meets the eye and those reports you are seeing do not reflect that. Additionally, there is a long list of hoops such as ATC, dispatch, alternate planning and more that we need to jump through and in a certain order and we are no special then the aircraft or passengers sitting on our right there. Please be patient with us and trust that we are doing what is safest for you and for us and not misleading you in anyway. We are always thankful for your patronage and never wish to inconvenience you, but sometimes these things happen. And if it makes you feel better, we are all in the same boat with you, so please do not take out any frustrations on cabin crew. Please note that the seatbelt sign is off if you need to stand up and we will warn you when it is about time to move, and we will do our best to keep the cabin comfortable. Thank you".

"Oh yes... Free drinks all around!!!!" (just kidding)

Totally agree 100%, but how about...

"Ladies and gents, until any one of you have gone thru the training and acquired the knowledge, skills, and hours to fly this airplane today, with these conditions, accounting for all applicable Federal Aviation Regulations, making sure that you still have a job tomorrow, oh and yes making sure everyone is going to get off this aircraft alive, I invite you to sit back, relax, and enjoy the fact that we up here HAVE indeed done all of those things and are happy to do our jobs and take you XYZ."

Or....the day after the Comair crash have some a$$ stick his head in and say..."Make sure your on the right runway guys, ha,ha,ha"....

Until YOU have had to make decisions about your airplane, passengers, crew, cargo, company....

Until YOU have had the RESPONSIBILITY of all of those things resting on YOUR ATP certificate, meanwhile the consequences of making a mistake can mean the worst possible of things(loss of life) or losing your career let alone a job....

Please let the flight crew do their jobs and not be so quick to judge.

Do YOU tell your doctor how to treat other patients? Do YOU tell your lawyer how to litigate other clients?
Do YOU tell your banker how to manage other peoples accounts?

GREAT post and right on!!!

Totally agree 100%, but how about...

"Ladies and gents, until any one of you have gone thru the training and acquired the knowledge, skills, and hours to fly this airplane today, with these conditions, accounting for all applicable Federal Aviation Regulations, making sure that you still have a job tomorrow, oh and yes making sure everyone is going to get off this aircraft alive, I invite you to sit back, relax, and enjoy the fact that we up here HAVE indeed done all of those things and are happy to do our jobs and take you XYZ."

But you forgot the part about the free drinks for EVERYBODY (us included). Ooops, sorry, that would be unprofessional now wouldn't it. Seriously though, it is purely a joke, so no one get upset about drinking on duty. :)

Why can't the truth just be told? Unless there is a snowstorm at your point of origin or destination or a TS directly over the airport, hurricane, trop dep, etc then weather is not to blame...the real reason is the incompetence of the FAA and the ATC system they run! It's a system better off being in a pre 1990 era. Ground stops and ground delay programs when it's VFR at your destination is absolutely unconscionable. It's about time more people told the truth like me and quit blaming a little wind and turbulence, 3000 ft cigs and 5 miles vis...come on!!

There is very little weather we can't fly through or around, or depart or land in. It is ATC's inability to move the traffic necessary. 20 to 30 mile enroute spacing? Come on!! The other day they shut down a departure gate for "turbulence" WHAT!!!! I sat on the ground for 30 minutes because of that BS. And it doesn't help when some of you wimps are constantly pestering an archaic ATC system for different altitudes further hindering the airspace being used. ATC is not going to allow all these aircraft to launch when they know everyone is going to be crying the blues about the ride and demanding different altitudes. So I end up sitting for a half an hour. Do your passengers want to get where they're going on time or put up with 15 minutes or so of rough air?

Holding when it's clear and a million enroute and at your destination is a crime against humanity!! 90% of the airspace unusable due to an antiquated ATC system is a crime against humanity!!

I'm finished with this BS!!

Last edited:
Passengers aren't the dumb cattle they once were.

Wrong they are the same dumb cattle. Now Bessy just comes with a fancy phone.

Look, all you have to do is send the iPhone fanboys to www.flightaware.com or www.faa.gov to shut them up. It works every time for me when we're stuck waiting out a GDP or ground stop.

I love the irony of politely using their own gadgets to get the point across.

Making a smart @$$ PA that singled out a specific pax was one of the most rewarding things I have done so far...

Latest resources

Back