I now know why....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lead Sled said:
I've got over 3,000 hours in them. Fun to fly but miserable to ride in. After I quit flying them, it took a couple of years to be able to straighten out my neck. (Depending upon which seat you're in your hear flops to the left or to the right.) I'll never, ever miss having to drag the baggage through the cabin and throw it behind the rear bench seat. We won't even talk about the forward lav (bucket) or the autopilot. And finally, my feet haven't been cold in an airplane once in the 10 years since I last flew that Lear. In it's day it was a great airplane. It had the best technology that money could buy in 1958. But, you're 100% correct - it was a hoot to fly.

'Sled

Somehow I think I'll end up back in them one day. I think that the Lear 35 is the best 'light jet' ever made, in terms of speed, performance, range, runway perf. etc......I haven't found anything better all around. It's just a great damm airplane. :)

Lead Sled said:
I've got over 3,000 hours in them. Fun to fly but miserable to ride in. After I quit flying them, it took a couple of years to be able to straighten out my neck. (Depending upon which seat you're in your hear flops to the left or to the right.) I'll never, ever miss having to drag the baggage through the cabin and throw it behind the rear bench seat. We won't even talk about the forward lav (bucket) or the autopilot. And finally, my feet haven't been cold in an airplane once in the 10 years since I last flew that Lear. In it's day it was a great airplane. It had the best technology that money could buy in 1958. But, you're 100% correct - it was a hoot to fly.

'Sled

Gotcha beat here! Of course that may not be saying much. :p

Brett, funny thing our DA-20 pilots say the same thing about the DA-20 and wanting to get into the DC-9.

The 35 is great, but my butt gets tired after 2 hours, and my back has been killing me for a couple of months. Not sure if it's from all the time sitting in the plane or not.

Wait till you have a chance to fly a 24!!! It has the same engines and landing gear/brakes as the 25, but is 2000 pounds lighter! Will climb to 10,000 from sea level in about 53 seconds!! (That's the record anyway!) And the instant response from the engines is awesome too.

Lead Sled said:
Fun to fly but miserable to ride in. After I quit flying them, it took a couple of years to be able to straighten out my neck. (Depending upon which seat you're in your hear flops to the left or to the right.) I'll never, ever miss having to drag the baggage through the cabin and throw it behind the rear bench seat. We won't even talk about the forward lav (bucket) or the autopilot. And finally, my feet haven't been cold in an airplane once in the 10 years since I last flew that Lear. But, you're 100% correct - it was a hoot to fly.

AMEN!

I had a 24 make 10 in 60 seconds and 18K in just about 2. A riot to fly, but always low on gas:)

Dizel8 said:
I had a 24 make 10 in 60 seconds and 18K in just about 2. A riot to fly, but always low on gas:)
Eighteen years ago, just before I went to FlightSafety to get my type I ran into an old Lear guy flying a 25 on an air ambulance run. We had both flown into Idaho Falls, Idaho with medical teams to harvest organs from an organ donor. I mentioned to him how I was geting ready to go to school and get my type. I had a lot of questions for him. I asked him which model he liked the best. He told me that he had been flying them for over 25 years and that the 35 was an "old man's" airplane - nice and easy to fly and no fuel worries. He said the 25 was his favorite though. I asked him why and he said that it all starts at takeoff - the first thing that you do when you stand up the power levers is to make sure that you only have an hour's fuel on board. In other word's, you make sure that the fuel flow for each engine is +/- 2500 pph. After take off you then tell the copilot to raise the gear and the flaps and to notify ATC that you have a fuel emergency in progress! Boy, did he have that pegged.

'Sled

500 kts TAS at Fl 290

Did 500 true at FL290, was able due to the really high ISA + temps.

This was in a Learjet 45XR....I thought that was pretty cool!

Got my first flight in a Lear 35 in about 90 minutes...a short flight to Phoenix, but it should be a blast. Got an opportunity to make my one landing in the airplane to complete my initial.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back