I need some encouragement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Groundpounder

I've wanted to fly for as long as I can remember, and I've been trying to reach this goal for a long time. I got my Multi commercial Insturment almost a year ago, and moved from New Hampshire to down here in Ft Lauderdale, with the goal of getting some sort of flying job. I haven't had any luck getting flying time, so now I am going to start working on my CFI. I don't really want to instruct, but I don't see any other way of getting flying time. So I am going to invest about $5000 more into my flying career, and I hope something comes of it. But, I am going to take a huge pay cut from working line service, and I am going to have to try to work full time and instruct part time.
So what do I have to look forward to? Those of you that are 'succesful' how long were you stuck being an instructor? How did you make enough money to be able to feed yourself? What kind of flying job did you get after being a CFI? My goal is to get a good part 91 corporate gig, how can I help myself toward that goal at this point?
Last but not least, was it all worth it?

Sorry if this is a bit rambling, but I'm just feeling a lil' depressed, and need a good kick in the rear.

P.S. Oh yeah, most of the guys I worked with in line service that were working on their ratings at the same time that I was are now flying, two at Comair, one just got hired by CoEx, and another is flying a G4.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go into instructing with the attitude that you will be "stuck" being an instructor. I had a few CFI's like that and they were the worst. They were very open about the fact they had to instruct to move on and could tell me anything about the fancy RJ they wanted to fly, but didn't know squat about what I really needed to know. I pretty much taught myself through a good portion of my training.

I've been instructing for just over 2 years and I love it. I start class with a 121 carrier next month. If they let me I would like to instruct on the side for extra $ and because I really love to teach. I had a full time job and I instructed on nights and on weekends. I was able to put some money in savings to help with first year pay at the regionals as well as put a nice down payment on a house.

If you think positively and work hard to be a good instructor you will make more money and your name will get out there. Once you have a solid reputation people will want to fly with you. I started out making $10 and hour but now I make $30 an hour at my local flight school and I charge $50+ for freelance instruction. If you keep a positive attitude towards instructing, or even if you just fake it in front of your students there's a much better chance of landing that part 91 corporate gig.

Hi I just read your post, and please let me offer some encouragement!

Don't ever give up your dream, Successful people forever work at their dream. Success doesn't always mean money. It may mean a goal like loosing weight.

Did anyone read the article featured in USA today a few months back that passengers flying on jets was going to double in the next ten years! That means that there is a future job for you!

There will be many people retiring from aviation in the next few years. A Dispatch license is a great way to land a job with a Fortune 500 Corporate job, and work on your flying on the side, perhaps this could be a long term goal for you while working on the flight hours.

You have nothing to feel bad about, but hey at least you don't have PMS like me. Sounds like your very determined! KUDOS for you and go for it!

Luck happens to everyone. On my Global Express both guys are younger than me, but probably had the required time. I would go for the CFI and get the hours, that is what is important, I once flew with a guy who was mopping floors at Wendy's and the next day he was a pilot, did he last? No he lied on his resume and couldn't land a plane for crap. Best wishes to you and your comarades and hey just apply somewhere, go for it! But don't give up aviation!

MissKittyKat ( Best of luck to you) hey I used to live in FLL and just bought a new condo in Boca! PM, maybe I see you someday!

I get along with people very well, and I have great customer service skills, and I want to have happy students that know what they are doing. I'm tasked with doing training at the FBO, and I think I do a good job with that. I'm just a bit nervous that I won't be a good CFI, and it will just be another $5k down the tubes.

EDUC8-or said:
I wouldn't go into instructing with the attitude that you will be "stuck" being an instructor. I had a few CFI's like that and they were the worst. They were very open about the fact they had to instruct to move on and could tell me anything about the fancy RJ they wanted to fly, but didn't know squat about what I really needed to know.
EDU is exactly right. You should become an insurance salesman or something rather than an instructor. Instructors who don't really really enjoy instructing do themselves and their students a huge disservice.

Do the Instructing thing for a bit and build that total time up or you will be in a FO seat for many many years to come adding 300-500 hr a year
in a 91 gig. just my .02

To paraphrase that old aviation axiom about it taking three things to make an airplane fly, money, something and something :D (aerodynamics was never my strong suit), here's my version of what it takes to get from fresh commercial ticket to airline pilot:

You gotta have one of three things to go from 250 to employable: access to a big bank account (not necessarily your own), a wife/husband/parents (hopefully your own) to support you during 1,000 hours or so of flight instructing wages (particularly in a small market), or really good industry contacts.

Nothing wrong with faking your "love" of flight instructing, but remember, it is a solemn duty to do it right, without fail, every time, period. Tough to fake the love (of the job, not the student, you better be able to like the student), but possible.

It is also possible that you won't like the step after instructing any better than instructing. I know a lot of folks think that's a given, but it's not necessarily so.

gern_blanston said:
EDU is exactly right. You should become an insurance salesman or something rather than an instructor. Instructors who don't really really enjoy instructing do themselves and their students a huge disservice.

How many people get their CFI's to instruct for the rest of their careers? I didn't mean to sound like I wouldn't like it, or come off like I am just doing it because I have to, I just don't see myself doing it for a long time.

Groundpounder, the reason I enjoy to offer encourement to you is because, My financee has been flying since he was 14 years old, he used to sneak out of the house to get flight time. He grew up in Long Island and got his license in Zann's Airport, somewhere like that. I don't know can;t remember, he is now 55 and still has his CFI and tells any pilots that he is an instructor first, he has taught so many people to fly (sorry he has not instructed any ladies) He has been teaching for so long, and that was his dream and still is, to teach people to fly.

It took me 12 years plus to become a flight attendant, no airline would hire me, because I'm too short, can't reach the overhead, never mind lift a 100pound raft out of a bin! But guess what I never gave up! ya, I did work for airlines as an agent but only corporate will hire me!

So, please look into all the options, and your determination will get you there. Hey by the way my trip was very long! But I was so happy to be on it! It was my lifelong goal too as a child to either be an astronuat or flight attendant, and I took the flight attendant route!

Again, Best of luck to you!

Latest resources

Back