Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Counselair

"He said member..."
OK, I'm getting older (36) and find my vision isn't quite as good as it used to be. Any thoughts on where to get the best glasses at the best price. I also need a prescription. I'm told those quickie places aren't so good.

Also, anybody ever fail a 1st class medical because their eye test wasn't 20/20? Do they bust you or just make you come back? I'm debating on trying to squeak by one more time.

Also what is the max B.P. parameters, I know it's a little off the subject but was just wondering.

Thanks,

Counselair:eek:

Don't sweat it. Lots of pilots have their vision deteriorate to the point where they need glasses. It's a hassle, but unless the vision problem is caused by disease, it won't affect your flying career.

You won't "bust" the medical if you can't pass the vision test. If you can't make out the 20/20 line without glasses, you'll have the restriction placed on your medical. The AME still needs to see that you can see 20/20 with glasses or contacts, so if you don't have any he'll have you come back once you get some before he gives you your medical certificate.

You can get a prescription locally for just a few bucks, but I'd recommend you don't buy glasses locally. In a lot of cases, they're overpriced and poor quality, and cheap glasses are good for causing fatigue and eyestrain in the cockpit. I recommend Hidalgo for prescription glasses and sunglasses. You can custom build your glasses, with different frames and lens colors, and they know what pilots need in glasses. I get all my stuff from them, and I've always been satisfied.

Not that I'm suggesting you do this, but . . .

If you get contacts and wear them into your medical, the nurse or assistant type who does most of the exam won't even ask if you are wearing contacts, and will just assume you aren't b/c your current medical has no restrictions on it.

Not sure of the legality of this, but I 'have a friend' who did this by accident, and his medical still has no restrictions on it, despite having 20/70 uncorrected. Nobody cares if you have the restriction that I know of. You're not looking to go Guard or Reserve, right?

-Boo!

hmm

galsses. fun things they are.
got my first pair in 6th grade. sucked. now im something like 20/200+ without em. i can see the big E...mostly. i can show you what direction it points in. but thats it. yet i can obtain a 1st class med. I also failed a 1st class medical...well at least i tried to get it and he wouldnt let me have it so i got the third class. you will still get the 'must weat vision correction' on your medical but they will just give you the lower class medical you're acceptable for. I had an older prescription and didnt see clear enough. and it was my first medical as a student. i wanted to find out anything disqualifying for the 1st class that i would need eventually.

so a month before my medical is due, i'd go see the eye guy and get the checkup, and get the new prescription. Tell the doctor exactly what you do and how important it is to have the best possible vision. Places correct you to 20/20 and then leave you alone. there's bound to be a +/- factor in some places too. I told the doc what was important and i was able to be corrected to 20/15. some arent so lucky to get this. but it works great.

umm...max BP i believe was 140 over somethin. i know the 140 is where it's considered. i was at 134 and the doctor made that "mmmmmm...youre okaaayyyy here.." sound. found riding a mountain bike one summer for an hour (on real trails not flat ones) 4 days a week dropped it 12 points. just keep doing somethin outside and eat a bunch of carrots for your eyes.

and please stay away from the 43 year old science teacher glasses look.

I recommend Hidalgo for prescription glasses and sunglasses. You can custom build your glasses, with different frames and lens colors, and they know what pilots need in glasses. I get all my stuff from them, and I've always been satisfied.

Eagle RJ,
Sorry to sound ignorant on the subject, but is Hidalgo an online dealer, or do you need to go real store to get those? Any info would be great. I've worn glasses most of my adult life, and when I was in the military, I used theirs (because they were free), now I need to find a good brand, and I still haven't been able to. Thanks

Hidalgo still hasn't joined the information age- they don't have a web site. They are just mail-order, and they have a printed catalog.

Email- [email protected]
1-800-786-2021

They carry Ray Ban, Randolph, Serengeti, and lots of other frames, and you can specify the lens color, material, and special coatings that you want. Their workmanship is excellent, and again, their prices are very competetive with local lens labs.

Going Blind!!

Counselair,

Did you play, "Spank the Monkey" too much? I hear that stuff makes you go blind.

Ok,Kidding aside, I've been wearing glasses since my fourth grade teacher noticed I squinted to see the chalk board and it's never been that big of a problem foe me. I'm just glad that I can still see, and not blind.

The best place for contacts is Sam's Warehouse $12 a box for contact lenses. 1-800-CONTACTS also has good deals. Don't go to those places at the mall, they will charge you about 10 times the actual cost.

My vision has been 20/500 corrected to 20/20 for the past 5 years and I've never failed a first class. The FAA MD I go to is very laid back. I've met some doc's that are uptight about vision, I just stay away from them.

Anyways, good luck in whatever you do.

PS. If you haven't played that SPANK THE MONEY, you're missing out! I spanked it to 483MPH!!

stillaboo said:
If you get contacts and wear them into your medical, the nurse or assistant type who does most of the exam won't even ask if you are wearing contacts, and will just assume you aren't b/c your current medical has no restrictions on it.

Don't bet on this. Both AME's I've visited regularly have nurses who ask if I wear contacts, and I have 20/15 uncorrected vision (i.e., no restrictions).

Vision

Don't sweat it. I've been wearing glasses and/or contact lenses since I was in the third grade. I am something like 20/400 left and 20/70 right. I started off with a Second (I eventually upgraded to a First with an EKG) but had to take a SODA. This was in the bad old days when the FAA threw SODAs around like they were going out of style. Last time I went in, in late 2001, I was given only a corrective lens restriction.

My wife and I purchase our vision correction products from our optometrist. Expensive, but we figure that we're assured of quality products that way.

PS-Since when is 36 old?

PPS-I always heard that if you played Spank the Monkey that nothing would go wrong with your eyes but that hair would grow out of your palms.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Thirty six became old when 20 year old gilrls started calling me Sir. If it was in an S&M setting that might be OK. Just kidding. As far as spank the monkey is concerned my palms are fine but my mouse is a little furry.

Counselair:cool:

Latest resources

Back