I need a different approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hello Abev,
Unfortunately, to act as a safety pilot you have to be appropriately rated and current in the category and class of aircraft in which the flight is to be flown.
That being said, you could do what I did years ago and be an "airport bum" on your day's off or when you have a few hours of spare time. I lucked out on numerous occasions and went on some flights with people that had an empty seat. And the FBO where I learned also did the traffic patrol flights and I went along on that and logged quite a bit of free stick time.
Best of luck, and I'm sure that you'll find a niche that works for you.

regards,

ex-Navy rotorhead

Within the confines of the regulations and operational limitations of the aircraft, the one paying the bill gets to do what one wants. If what is wanted is an "extended test drive" then by all means have at it!

Good mention of incidental learning in the above posts.

Excerpts from FAA-H-8083-9 Aviation Instructor's Handbook:

"Helping Students Learn
Learning should be an enjoyable experience. By making each lesson a pleasurable experience for the student, the instructor can maintain a high level of student motivation. This does not mean the instructor must make things easy for the student of sacrifice standards of performance to please the student."
"Learning should be interesting."
"Learning to fly should provide students with an opportunity for exploration and experimentation."

Abev107:
I think people have provided a pretty good answer to your original question. I say as long as you can find the money for it, continue to pay an instructor to take you flying. Just make sure you still log the flight time as instruction. This way you can still get the experience you need to earn your licence. (Yes, somewhere along the line you will have to sit down and do the not-as-fun stuff that everyone has to do, but perhaps by then you will be more comfortable in the aircraft and it won't seem as stressful) There's nothing wrong with taking your time in getting your licence, particularly if you have nothing at stake in it. Enjoy flying, that's what it's all about!

Fear of flying v. fear of flight training v. (unfounded) fear of making mistakes

abev107 said:
I am a teacher, not a learner. I own my own business and I find it very difficult at times to take instructions from others. I am used to be the one telling. I am a terrible student and I hate tests. Most likely b/c I fear failure. I like to "do", then "correct". Like a new ad campaign - you can do studies and research till the cows come home, but until you run the ad, you wont know the results. And I KNOW I can't do that with flying.

And I have a difficult time making mistakes and being corrected b/c I add 10x to it . . . . . I am a very compliant student - I am not nearly as defiant as i sound . . . .
(emphasis added)

I read mixed messages in your comments. First you say that you are a compliant student. Then you say that you are a terrible student and dislike tests. Along with that you say that you fear failure. And, you say you find it difficult at times to take instruction from others. Maybe that's why you have flying anxiety - although I'd hazard a guess that it is really failure and critique anxiety.

One of the ironic things about flight training is as a student you are paying someone good money to give you a hard time. As well-intentioned as students may be, many stop flight training because they cannot stand being told what to do. Many high-powered professionals are that way. They cannot believe that they have to submit to someone criticizing their every move - no matter how caring and diplomatic the instructor may be. Moreover, they cannot stand meeting someone who may know more about something than they do. These are typically "can-do" type people who are achievers but have now found something that they "cannot-do," at least until they learn. And that makes them fearful.

On the other hand, if such people can accept that they don't know everything and are willing to be taught, they oftentimes become excellent and dedicated pilots. From your description of yourself, I wonder if you might fall in this category.

Before taking offense, read again what I've just wrote. The long and short of it is if you are truly humble and are willing to learn - and have no fear of making mistakes - you can become a fine pilot. You just have to be willing to learn. Making mistakes is all part of the learning process. Do not be afraid to make them. Do be afraid that you will not learn from them.

I appreciate my friend Rvrrat's quote from the FOI.

Last edited:
you are getting warmer

I am a good student meaning I am compliant - not a no-it-all. I listen very intently and do what I am told. Alot of my problems are my internal struggles. It may sound like I am having at it with my CFI. I have been accused of agreeing and disagreeing in the same sentence.

I am not a high powered executive. And I am willing to learn. And I understand and fully agree that my CFI knows way more than me. I admire pilots. I admire them b/c they can do something that I cannot.

Bottom line: I love to fly and be in the plane, but anxiety levels can be so high that I cannot function the way I want to. And I want to get over the fear.

And yes bobbysamd, I cant stand being told what to do. I guess my problem is with who's telling me what to do.

narrowing it down.

abev107 said:
And yes bobbysamd, I cant stand being told what to do. I guess my problem is with who's telling me what to do.

Does age of the instructor matter?
Have you received complete preflight briefings on what & how is to take place in the air?

In the same way there is "more than one way to skin a cat," there is more than one way to put an idea/concept/specific instruction to another person. Does the instructor you are flying with have this capacity?

Student-instructor relationship v. instructor-student relationship

Originally posted by abev107
I admire pilots. I admire them b/c they can do something that I cannot.
At the moment. Everyone was new at one time. No reason why you cannot learn how to fly. Others have and others will.
I suspect that your instructor is (1) young enough to be your child and (1a) just as inexperienced, in your eyes; and/or (2) pushing you harder than you care to be pushed.

If your problem is (1) you could ask for an older instructor. It's hard for many older people to accept direction from a younger person. It's okay for me to say "older" because I am now "older," at nearly 52 (and the infrequent recipient of AARP mail :( ). On the other hand, pilots in the overall sense accept each other, regardless of age. In other words, maybe you're not accepting your instructor because of his/her age. Being old, grey and having crow's feet from years of open-cockpit airmail flying is not a prerequisite to be a good flight instructor.

In the case of (2), maybe your instructor was trained at one of the big commercial flight schools. Such schools are extremely intense, structured and scheduled, and instructors push students hard for them to succeed. If your instructor is a product of such a program, that may be the only approach to instructing that he/she knows. It may work fine for students in his/her school but not for you in your training environment. Apparently you are not under the same strictures and would do better learning at your own pace.

Try to accept your instructor. Also discuss with him/her that you prefer a less intense approach to training and are not in a real hurry to finish (Most students wanting a career are in a hurry.).

Once more, good luck with your training. That'll be $50, please. ;)

PS-Further to the importance of a good instructor-student relationship, I believe that I lost a job because my instructor might not have accepted me and/or my hiring at the company. On our first flight during a stall demonstration my instructor snarled at me in way that I did care for. All flight instructors snarl; they wouldn't be flight instructors if they didn't snarl. :) But his took on a certain edge that I felt was inappropriate for someone with my experience. It set a tone for the entire (short) time I was at this company.

Last edited:
So true. I am one of those 'big school' CFI's. Often I catch myself getting a little too intense with my students. We are under enormous pressure to get the students through in a timely manner, at a reasonable price, and pass rate is all important.

Much of this pressure, for me, is self-induced. I was one of the students not so long ago and it was a fixed budget, make it or break it deal for me. I borrowed the money to get through and really had no other options to get more. Accordingly, I worked my a$$ off to get through under the quotes. I was successful and actually made it in $5000 less than quoted. I want my students to do the same.

For me, a snarling CFI was just what I wanted. Get me through this program as fast and cheap as possible. Let me know when I need to work harder.

However, being a CFI, you must realize that everyone has different motivations, fears, ability levels, work ethic, etc. Many of my students couldn't care less about the money and/or aren't willing to put the necessary time in to make it through cheaply. The CFI must learn to adapt to the student's needs.

I remember my Part 61 roots where flying was much more individually structured. I was in college, working almost full time, flying on the weekends. A snarling CFI would have really pissed me off as I had lots of outside stuff going on. Like abev (and most student pilots), I also had certain fears. The CFI must be calm, professional, understanding, and always leave the student an out. Mine was like that.

I have friends who went to the same flight school as I and, for one reason or another, chose to instruct in the Part 61 world. The hardest thing for them to get used to was the realization that not everyone is flying to make it to a professional level. Many don't even want a rating, they just want to fly. The rating will come when they're ready. This sounds like abev.

So, abev, you need to find a CFI who understands this. Once the CFI realizes that your goals are different from theirs, and from most students, it is much easier for them to relax and just have fun with you. If they think, as they have been programmed, that you want to get a PVT license in 40-50 hrs, they will push you, as they should.

Try flying with someone else once. Make sure you explain that you just want the experience of flying and aren't necessarily looking to fly through a PPL course. You will probably learn the same amount just by being in the airplane receiving instruction but the pressures will be less for both of you. Good luck!

abev107:

Since you have only about thirty something posts, I went back and looked at your posting history. Here's a quick synopsis -

1.) You need to find a new CFI or have a real heart-to-heart with your current CFI. You said earlier that your CFI never admitted to having problems with the learning process during his primary training. You are "afraid" that he doesn't understand your plight. You need to clear the air or shop for a more "understanding" CFI.

2.) Lose the "stars in your eyes". Pilots are only slightly better than ground pounders. We have one ability above mere earthlings and that is to think three dimensional - we add "up and down" to "back and forth" and "right and left". This is not an "impossible" mission - in fact flying airplanes is quite easy.

3.) I remember something on TV a few years ago that ran the SAS theatre - "Short Attention Span". Admit it - you've got it. Your CFI has to know this also. I've had a couple of students like this (more recently, in fact) and I think that our younger generation is just hooked on "bursts" of information (ala TV induced images) rather than long lessons. To counter this, I've had to make lessons where I don't "pound" a subject into the ground but rather "introduce" a lot of new stuff and then review the points that don't stick on a later lesson. SAS students get about 5 minutes on any given topic and then I move on.

That said - this post is already boring you - so have a great day and hang in there.

thanks, tarp that post was very insightful. Ironically the initials of my company is SAS.

No post is boring to me. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to write out their thoughts, whether seemingly positive or negative.

Latest resources

Back