I just lost my Fortune 500 job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Coool Hand Luke

At least it didn't happen right before Christmas.

This may be the last straw for me. As ol' Ernie Gann said, you look in the mirror and ask yourself when? I am thinking right about now is "when" for me.

Good luck to the rest of you, I hope TARP doesn't ruin the whole business.

Hate to hear another story about a guy losing a job. Wish you the best of luck and hope something good comes around the corner for you.

That's very true. I was already looking. But then again, I've always found it to be prudent to always be looking, even when I had a job. As such, I've passed on a few jobs just in the past year. Kinda wish I hadn't now.

Anyone here have a crystal ball I can borrow?

I too am concerned what will happen to corporate aviation. My dad was one of the original corporate pilots, maybe I'll be one of the last. Is it possible corporate aviation could only last two to three generations? I may even be one of the last private aircraft owners too. How sad for the following generations. My 3 year old daughter, who flies with me regularly, says she wants to be a pilot. I wonder if that will be possible.

Sorry to hear it, it is horrible what is happening right now. Hopefully someone will ask the question of Barney Frank about the governments flight department. I was at MidCoast aviation in KCPS not to long ago and noticed a nice Government Gulfstream up on jacks. Hear they have a few of those and 757s and two very nice 747s.

Barney Frank ought to stick to doin' Freddie in the Fannie. If there was a louder call to look into his own malfeasance, perhaps he would actually keep his mouth shut for a while.

The flight departments themselves may go away but the flying will not. These companies can not conduct most of their business with airline flying. They will become fractional owners or charter to replace the flying done by the flight departments. Just a guess....

lookin4better if you read the legislation that Mr Barney just pushed through these companies are not allowed to use fractional aircraft or charters.

Fortune 500

I agree with Luke and Tin - big time. If you think that you are fat, comfortable, and secure you may be in for a rude awakening. I work for a Fortune 70ish flight department now for the past 8 years. I previously thought that I could and would be here for a very long time but now I'm not so sure. I had a close friend in the business world that always told me that I should constantly be in a state of evaluation - both personally and professionally. This means IMHO as a pilot that resumes and logbooks need to be current if they are not and that networking is huge. There are some jobs out there and in fact some very good ones. Having a network will help to put some of those contacts in your lap.

I too have been looking for quite sometime. It has ranged from no reply to several job offers. Do you take them? Curious dillema.

It is a roll of the dice. History has showed that this is a bit cyclical. Thats fine but I can do without the trauma.

Keep the faith boys

Latest resources

Back