I have a friend who lost his log book.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RTF

What procedure would this friend use to recapure his lost hours? He only had about 300 fixed wing, single engine land, and both day and night. The log book was a victim of a flood. I guess you could say..."it got water logged"
Thanks,

Your last checkride (Private?Comm?Inst?) 8710 form had hours on it... go from there and use any receits from renting/gas etc...

Last edited:
I know this can be a little bit late but tell your friend next time to keep photocopies of the last page. What i do is i have the paper logbook and the electronic one.

good luck

I have been through this. I was fortunate in that I also had a computer copy that I was able to rewrite the missing information from. What I was told by the Feds is that you can make a one line entry of your times. Then write a statement that the logbook was loss (damaged, etc) and that these times are accurate to the best of your knowledge and have it noterized with your signature. Plan on it taking the full page.

you can try going back to phe places things were done at if they still have the records it can be recompiled.

i have a friend who lost his dog, what should he do?

Thanks for the reply,

What do you mean, "taking the full page"?

Rick1128 said:
I have been through this. I was fortunate in that I also had a computer copy that I was able to rewrite the missing information from. What I was told by the Feds is that you can make a one line entry of your times. Then write a statement that the logbook was loss (damaged, etc) and that these times are accurate to the best of your knowledge and have it noterized with your signature. Plan on it taking the full page.

I had this happen when I had about 300 hours also. Yhe first thing is to contact OKC and get a full set of records from all the checkrides taken and then start a new log at the estimated flight time and go on. It helps to I had my statement in my new log notarized. I had no problem taking checkrides with that documentation including the ATP . The main bummer is losing all the original endorsements and log entries such as first solo etc.
hope this helps.

Plan on using he whole page for the noterized statement. Having some records like copies of your previous 8710's will help your case if the Feds question it. Generally they do not.

RTF said:
Thanks for the reply,

What do you mean, "taking the full page"?

I was told to loose my log book once. He then told me to find it and come back with a thousand hours of ag time. I guess I'm one lazy SOB. Do you know how long it would take to write a thousand hours with three or four different N-numbers in three hour flights?

Latest resources

Back