I guess my names on "The List" now...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Iceman07

Boarding a SWA flight from KSAN to KBDL this past March. I had checked my bag and my bicycle case, but I had forgotten to remove a CO2 cartridge from my saddle bag.

I get summoned up to the gate agent, where she tells me that TSA had found and illegal object in my bike case. OK, I tell her, no problem. I won't forget it again.

Today, I get a letter from USDOT and the FAA:

"Dear Richard *******

The FAA has inititiated an outreach campaign to raise public awareness and to counsel passengers concerning the hazardous materials regulations. It has been reported that you may have been carrying inflation device (compressed gas) while you were boarding a SWA flight on 11 Mar 2006 at San Diego International Airport........

Specific requirements are outlined in Title 49........ The FAA considers the matter closed. If you have questions concerning this letter....

Sincerely,
**** *. *****
Hazardous Material Branch Manager, AWP-***"

Should be interesting the next time I check in.

I guarantee I would have forgotten about the CO2 if I checked my bike, two cartridges, parked in the saddle bag right now...

Co2 is wonderful; I run my clinchers @ 120psi. That would be a lot of hand pumping with a bike mounted pump.

ReportCanoa said:
Will Co2 inflate a tire to 120 psi? I think like only 90, just to get you home, no?

For a 700x23c tire, a 12-gram CO2 cartridge typically inflates to ~95-100 psi while a 16-gram cartridge will typically inflate to ~115-120 psi depending on the inflator that is used. Based on personal experience, a 16-gram cartridge can and will over-inflate (blow out) a higher performance latex tube installed on narrower 700x19c or 700x20c clinchers!

ReportCanoa said:
700x19? yikes.

Yep - seriously narrow tires which I use for time trials on a dedicated time trial bike but the 19c and 20c tires also seem to be pretty popular with triathlete crowd.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back