Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bell47

shoveling the dream!
I was informed by the capt. that I fly with that I should sit down and memorize the approach charts the night before a flight. I have never heard of this, but he told me that was how it was done when flying jets. I'll usually read the approach plate for where I'm going ahead of trip but I don't memorize it, thats why you carry the charts! He made it sound as if there may be a TEST! LOL! Pleeeease read my thread below on training contracts. This job is getting bad really fast. He informed me that he could fly ANYTHING and that he knows best. I just can't deal with this guy's attitude anymore. I can't learn this aircraft(I have about 10 hours in this small jet), with out a little help, and I'm not getting any from him. He really gets in a HUGE nervous rush before take off, and starts compaining about me keeping up. Hell, I can only read the checklist so da#n fast! Like I said please read my thread below about training contracts, because this is not working out at all. P.S. Who's Hiring?

bell47 said:
I was informed by the capt. that I fly with that I should sit down and memorize the approach charts the night before a flight. I have never heard of this, but he told me that was how it was done when flying jets.

Absolutely the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. That's the kind of thing that can lead to disaster. We don't recite checklists from memory, either, and for exactly the same reasons.

I'll usually read the approach plate for where I'm going ahead of trip but I don't memorize it, thats why you carry the charts!

That's exactly right. Reviewing approach charts for your planned airports is good planning. Trying to memorize them is foolish, and a waste of brainpower. Professional crews don't do that -- even "in jets."

He really gets in a HUGE nervous rush before take off, and starts compaining about me keeping up. Hell, I can only read the checklist so da#n fast!

This guy sounds like a crash waiting to happen. Your job-hunting instincts are right on track. :D

bell 47, do what he says...HE'S THE CAPTAIN and can have you removed.

My friend, first officer for Continental Express, could not keep up on a milk run through Texas and Lousiana. He was responsible for air/nav, etc. explained he was tired, hungary and needed to pee. Captain stopped taxing in Lafayette and said either quit when we get back or I will have you fired, apply again in a year. He resigned and now has a good job with Continental.

Good Luck.

(try to do exactly what he wants or move as fast as you can to get close to it and tell him of your progress or ask advice on how to "get er dun".

You will see this guy and his brother and uncle many more times in your carrer. There is no reason to have to memize the charts. You are correct, Thats why we carry them with us. There is no easy way to please these weak d**k capts sometimes. Try to "keep up" by knowing the checklist, Also don't be late or give him any ammo to shoot you down with. There are alot of good pilots, but there are a few still out there. All of us had to do it so keep your nose clean and it will get better.

This guy sounds like a real jerk!

Hang in there. Just remind yourself. If you can handle working with this guy. You will be able to handle flying with anyone. He will get his someday.:uzi:

later :beer:

:rolleyes: Ask him why he bothers to have the charts on the aircraft if he has them all memorized. I doubt anyone would trust something that important to memory in any event.

Guys I just turned in my letter of resignation tonight, I didn't give two weeks notice but I didn't feel safe flying with this guy so i quit. This is the first time in my life that I've had to quit like this. I feel absolutley awful, but better than dead or violated by the feds. I was always told when I was learning to fly, know when enough is enough. I tried to talk to the guy last night but he really acted like I was the problem, He tries to turn everything around to be my fault. I really tried to make this work, I don't know what I could have done differently. i really hate this whole situation.

Why didn't you talk to the Chief Pilot??? One captain's comments arent' going to get you fired. In fact, the jerk probably already has a reputation in the Chief Pilot's office and if you went and talked to him, he'd probably hold his hand up and say, "that's ok, I know about him. I'll take care of it." First thing tomorrow morning, call your Chief Pilot and try and set this straight.

In my 25 years of flying experience, both in the military and part 121, poor leadership qualities and lack of self confidence/flying abliity manifest themselves in behavior like you say your Captain was exhibiting.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back