I gotta ask this....I need help fast!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bell47 said:
yeah I thought about it. I would like to fly freight if I could find the right job. Another Caravan position would be great. Maybe something in MEM. I just don't know about the corporate world, but maybe I'm a little spooked after this fiasco with this captain.

Look us up at Airnet, we have a 'van based in MEM. Sounds like it'd be right up your alley.

b747dogg said:
nosedragger do you spit or swallow??? Have a little back bone!

b747dogg, you couldnt be more right here. Gotta have a backbone and speak right up when you dont like something. Dont do what the captain always wants to do if you think it's unsafe!

Nocturnal1 said:
Here's a few thoughts on your plight. First things first, a timely call to the servicing FSDO would not only be satisfying but in order. The reason this "guy" was riding your posterior was because he was peddalin as fast as he could.

Not quite sure I'd call the FSDO. From what I read, this captain did nothing more than be a total douche bag. If he/she did something that was unsafe or unlawful, sure, I'd call... Otherwise, probably not. I'd just spread the word that this place ain't a good place to call home.

Sounds like you were flying with Barney Fife and Frank Burns' love child! Good decision to get out with your health and reputation intact.

I "pity the fool", I say "pity the fool" who replaces you! Good luck.

If your looking for a new job for a good company, you might want to check out Dynamicaviation.com.

They only hire a&p /pilots They are a very stable company with very excellent people there. They also treat there pilots very well in my opinion.

based in virginia. pm for more info

Balou

why is it that these a-hole captians make it to thier position. somewhere they should have washed out or told not to pursue this carrer. they are also the hardest to fire. management seem to fear them. this guy sound like some we fired but took years to do so. he was t. c. funny if that was the same. his rep is so bad he can't find a job. as you all well know we seem to know or know someone who does that fits this decription. small world.

They make it to these positions by being scared and inexperienced right-seaters (LIKE MOST OF US) and got their butts handed to them by jerk captains who were even worse. This is back in the era when the captain really was God, and if you had a problem with that you could get out and walk. This in turn makes them forget where they came from, and they turn into the jerk captains they flew with, albeit a slightly diluted form.

Case in point, I flew with a guy in the 72 a couple years ago. He told us all through ground school that if we ever saw a problem with what he was doing or felt something was unsafe, he wanted us and even insisted that we call him on it. One day into BNA he was about to land on the wrong runway, and therefore land on an AA 757, and I called him on it (had a great view of things from the side saddle). On the leg out of BNA he called for a checklist and I didn't hear it due to the noise of the cockpit and the radio chatter in my ear. He then proceeded to tear me a new one, while sitting in line for departure, in front of the whole flight deck crew plus a check engineer plus a mechanic. After we parked it at CVG for the night, he did it again after I tried to apologize, only this time he did it in front of the four FAs. He even looked me in the eye and said he could guarantee that I'd go nowhere in this industry, implying that he'd have his buddy the chief pilot fire me. I guarantee it was in retaliation for me making him look bad on that approach into BNA, the check engineer (who was also a left-seat captain) agreed with me.

That was one helluva 2nd flight ever in the 727, I damn near hung up my wings for good after that flight. But, poetic justice works in mysterious ways because 3 weeks later he got furloughed and I didn't.

I made a promise to myself that when I get that 4th stripe on my shoulder some day, I would NEVER be the kind of captain that he was. I hope everyone else on this board makes that same promise to themselves.

Last edited:
bell47 said:
I was informed by the capt. that I fly with that I should sit down and memorize the approach charts the night before a flight.

That's Bull $hit. It never hurts to study enroute and approach charts the
night before, but there is usually an approach breifing with most operators.
If it is a unknown airport and/or a difficult approach, make it a more detailed
breifing and start it earlier (instead of inside the marker:rolleyes:).

DO become familier with the checklist and DO know the responses and flows
(if appropriate).

News flash: there will ALWAYS be a captain with a personality disorder.
You need to learn how to deal with them. As an F/O, know your airplane!
Sooner or later, a captain will try to kill you. (conversly, you'll do the
same to him).

CE

Princedietrich said:
I made a promise to myself that when I get that 4th stripe on my shoulder some day, I would NEVER be the kind of captain that he was. I hope everyone else on this board makes that same promise to themselves.

But please, please!!! do not break that promise.....my philosophy:

"Unless you're life is in danger in anyway, you should never, EVER!!! be an a$$hole to anyone for anyreason. All that does is give the other person the right to be an A$$hole to you and punch you in the face."

In some cases, spit in your food......can I get an amen!

Latest resources

Back