Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I got to scare TWO instructors on the same flight today!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dseagrav

Student Dork
In a 152, no less! This was truly an achievement! ^_^

Anyway, a bit of preliminary information - The airport in question here is 3MY, or Mount Hawley Auxiliary. The instructors in question are Adama and Renae, a husband-and-wife team who work there. Adama is my normal instructor. The airport is underneath Greater Peoria Regional's class C, the bottom of which is at 2000 MSL. Anyway, on with the show!

I showed up 10 minutes late to find Renae (who I had never flown with) waiting for me. It seems Adama had left late for another cross-country and wasn't going to make it back in time, so he asked her to babysit me through a few patterns. (He even warned her about me. I felt so proud! ^_^) So up we go. A few patterns into things, on climbout, I observe a few birds headed the same direction we are. I say, "Oooh, traffic!"

Scare #1!

Renae missed the birds and thought I meant an airplane. She says "What? No way, where?" and starts looking. I said, "Oh, I meant the birds." She looked like she was going to punch me for a second, then says "Birds are NOT traffic!" (I've done this with Adama before and it doesn't scare him because birds are a see-and-avoid thing. Maybe I shouldn't...)

Anyway, on to number two! (This one is my favorite ^_^) Out there in the sky, Adama is returning with his other student. They are about 20 miles out when they hear me make the following transmission on the radio:

"Mount Hawley traffic, Cessna 789MikeFox is left downwind for One Seven... (about a one-second pause) AW, CRAP!"

He begins wondering just what happened. He can't see us yet, but the urgency of the crap was enough to worry him. Sure enough, a few seconds later on the radio comes me with "We're still here!"

Immediately prior to this both Renae and I were watching someone apparently without a radio crossing the airport. In determing his direction of travel, I stopped paying attention to what I myself was doing, which was bad. I satisfied myself that he was not a factor, started my downwind-leg report, looked back at the panel, and observed the altimeter passing 1950. This led to the "AWW, CRAP!"

We descended fast (I didn't bust airspace, but only by about 30 feet or so...) and laughed ourselves a bit at the inadvertent transmission - I said, "You know, I bet they (meaning the ground) think we just bought it..." and made the "We're still here!" transmission. We didn't know Adama had heard us so it was just harmless funny to us. Anyway, Adama joins us in the pattern as we're doing our touch-and-goes, follows us around the patch a few times, then we land and go inside. He does the same. We're inside filling out the paperwork when Adama comes in and says "OK, so I'm 20 miles out, listening to the radio, and I hear you say 'Aww, crap!'... What was that?" Renae and I both started laughing ^_^ We explained it to him and he thought it was funny, so no harm done. And thus I scared two instructors in one day.

The real scary part will be tomorrow - I turned in my pre-solo written, so unless I messed up something I don't know about, if all goes as planned tomorrow, I get my solo... watch out, world!

Last edited:
dseagrav said:
In a 152, no less! This was truly an achievement! ^_^

Anyway, a bit of preliminary information - The airport in question here is 3MY, or Mount Hawley Auxiliary. The instructors in question are Renae and Adama, a husband-and-wife team who work there. Adama is my normal instructor. The airport is underneath Greater Peoria Regional's class C, the bottom of which is at 2000 MSL. Anyway, on with the show!

I showed up 10 minutes late to find Renae (who I had never flown with) waiting for me. It seems Adama had left late for another cross-country and wasn't going to make it back in time, so he asked her to babysit me through a few patterns. (He even warned her about me. I felt so proud! ^_^) So up we go. A few patterns into things, on climbout, I observe a few birds headed the same direction we are. I say, "Oooh, traffic!"

Scare #1!

Renae missed the birds and thought I meant an airplane. She says "What? No way, where?" and starts looking. I said, "Oh, I meant the birds." She looked like she was going to punch me for a second, then says "Birds are NOT traffic!" (I've done this with Adama before and it doesn't scare him because birds are a see-and-avoid thing. Maybe I shouldn't...)

Anyway, on to number two! (This one is my favorite ^_^) Out there in the sky, Adama is returning with his other student. They are about 20 miles out when they hear me make the following transmission on the radio:

"Mount Hawley traffic, Cessna 789MikeFox is left downwind for One Seven... (about a one-second pause) AW, CRAP!"

He begins wondering just what happened. He can't see us yet, but the urgency of the crap was enough to worry him. Sure enough, a few seconds later on the radio comes me with "We're still here!"

Immediately prior to this both Renae and I were watching someone apparently without a radio crossing the airport. In determing his direction of travel, I stopped paying attention to what I myself was doing, which was bad. I satisfied myself that he was not a factor, started my downwind-leg report, looked back at the panel, and observed the altimeter passing 1950. This led to the "AWW, CRAP!"

We descended fast (I didn't bust airspace, but only by about 30 feet or so...) and laughed ourselves a bit at the inadvertent transmission - I said, "You know, I bet they (meaning the ground) think we just bought it..." and made the "We're still here!" transmission. We didn't know Adama had heard us so it was just harmless funny to us. Anyway, Adama joins us in the pattern as we're doing our touch-and-goes, follows us around the patch a few times, then we land and go inside. He does the same. We're inside filling out the paperwork when Adama comes in and says "OK, so I'm 20 miles out, listening to the radio, and I hear you say 'Aww, crap!'... What was that?" Renae and I both started laughing ^_^ We explained it to him and he thought it was funny, so no harm done. And thus I scared two instructors in one day.

The real scary part will be tomorrow - I turned in my pre-solo written, so unless I messed up something I don't know about, if all goes as planned tomorrow, I get my solo... watch out, world!
anyone else confused about who wears the pants in this marriage?

What? I'm either totally disoriented or you were........I'm looking around to see if I can still focus. What did you say?

Your scaring me and that makes three!
Just remember, the mark of a great pilot is NOT scaring people and most of all the passengers. It's all fun and games until someone gets a eye put out.

Bryan D said:
Your scaring me and that makes three!
Just remember, the mark of a great pilot is NOT scaring people and most of all the passengers. It's all fun and games until someone gets a eye put out.
Yeah, I know, I shouldn't be scaring people, but it was funny besides ^_^
And I corrected the positions in the post above - I thought gender would be implied from names, but that's just me.

I was in getting a dental check up, cleaning and I needed a cap re-glued in place. The hygenist was flossing between my teeth and she must have forgotten that I needed the cap glued on because when she pulled out the floss, pop! Out went my cap. It landed on my tounge, so I work it up so I can get to it with my fingers. When I finally got it out I asked her, "Heads or tails?"

I guess you had to be there.

That attitude towards birds kinda makes me wonder about their attitudes towards other things. Take a look sometime and do a search what birdstrikes can do to light aircraft.

mudkow60 said:
That attitude towards birds kinda makes me wonder about their attitudes towards other things. Take a look sometime and do a search what birdstrikes can do to light aircraft.
Oh, they are definetely something to avoid - She just doesn't want me to use the word "Traffic" for them. There was a short discussion afterward where she said birdstrikes can and do down light aircraft, it's marginally better than being shot with antiaircraft fire, but I shouldn't say "Traffic" unless it's an airplane.

Latest resources

Back