I got bumped

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dseagrav said:
I haven't had anything break on me yet except a directional gyro.

Wow, I broke a leg once, but never a gyro. On my airplane, I had my engine break, but that was my airplane.:p ;) :D

sky37d said:
Wow, I broke a leg once, but never a gyro. On my airplane, I had my engine break, but that was my airplane.:p ;) :D

Well, the irritating part was, it didn't break outright, it started turning slowly left when I wasn't, then got gradually faster until it was noticeable. (Of course, it started doing this as I was putting the hood on...) It was a very slow error, if we had actually been in clouds I don't think I'd have noticed it until I was a good 50-90 degrees off course. (Of course, then I would probably have a controller who would notice this and clue me in... right?) The CFI noticed it before I did (he noticed it almost immediately) and pointed it out, so I don't know for sure how long I'd have taken. After he pointed it out it was fairly obvious that the turn didn't match the other instruments, so I think I'd have caught on. As we headed back to the airport it started to slow down, then after we landed it quit doing it. Suction in the green the whole time, but the gyro in question had been recently replaced. I haven't been back yet to determine what became of it. Probably a loose hose or something.

FN FAL said:
If they can't read a sectional and tune in a ctaf before overflying an airport with a parachute marked next to it, why doesn't this act surprise me.

I understand completely what you are saying. On my way in, I was doing the VFR arrival thingie, and I heard a Citation, VFR 7,500, looking for straight in on 9. He was talking to the Fisk controller. Now, on Friday, at that time of the day, OSH was OVC2500. So, if this guy is doing the vfr arrival, he somehow has to get from 7500, to 2300, and remain VFR. Anyway.
Fisk controller: "Turn to page 12 in the NOTAM, and follow the instructions."
Citation Pilot: "I know it's here someplace, but in case I can't find it, can you tell me what it says."
Fisk: " Contact Chicago on 127.0"

Last edited:
What sort of relationship do you have with the A&P? Will he rat you out to the FAA for flying it w/o inspection/ferry permit? I don't know many/any A&Ps with that demeanor but you might consider that as well... by all means have a qualified mechanic go over the area of possible damage though.

Latest resources

Back