• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I don't want to read, I want to listen to my music

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've noticed that a lot of times pilots will call in range with the flight attendants about 30 minutes prior to landing. Why? You've got to realize they are going to make everyone turn off all "portable electronic devices" from then on.

Why not call as you pass through 10000 feet or getting vectored for final approach?

Another ride home on Mesa?

Last edited:
At XJT, the seat belt sign is supposed to come on by 18,000 (the In-Range Checklist). The sterile light and the bells come at 10,000 (unless we're going into a high airport like COS or getting a big slam dunk like ONT...then it's on at about 14,000 to 16,000).

I guess I never considered a call to the back a violation of sterile. I've been wrong before though.

OK, I'm the guilty one. (I wish there was some way to separate the cabin walk through and the non-emitting PED's. In fact, IPODs don't harm anything and as long as someone does not mind looking a fool, then they should get to enjoy their music.)

When we know it is going to be bumpy down low I turn on the seat belt sign and notify the FA early so they can get their walk through done and prepare the cabin before we encounter turbulence that might result in an injury. Usually this happen just below 18,000, but if the build ups are in the mid twenties and ATC can't let us deviate as much as we like, then the bells happen earlier.

Then final approach control gets a hold of us and vectors us out for a 25 mile down wind (ATL) and it does seem like it takes F O R E V E R to finally get down and in the gate.

Sometimes I think, "darn, got the sign too early." But that sure beats even getting a minor injury which is supposed to be reportable under most Companys' FOMs. There was a FSDO that handing out 60 day suspensions for crew/passenger injuries that they heard about - even with the seat belt sign on. Around ATL it has not happened that I am aware of, but different FSDO's have wildly different enforcement philosophies.

If you are travelling in uniform, try this approach - be nice. Raise our profession by being the kind of professional who can answer a question with a smile. Don't we all like it when kids point at us in uniform and say "look, a pilot, that is what I want to be."

Used to be that pilots were all over third grade bulletin boards. Now the Firemen have a commanding lead. Lets take it back.

On the flip side, on a 05:30 flight (yawn) in smooth air - expect the bells and seat belt sign just before 10,000.

Sure the book says "10,000," but the goal is to keep the crew and our passengers safe.

Last edited:
Actually, it happens all the time. I know exactly why labbats is so frustrated. I'd say it happens about 40-50% of the time. Really frustrating when you're sitting next to some loser who wants to talk and you've been avoiding him the whole time by listening to your iPod. As soon as the iPod goes off, he's got five thousand moronic questions to ask you.

quote]

Good old fashioned earplugs come in handy for just this situation. Don't be afraid to use them.

I feel your pain, labbats. I always screw that one up, especially going into PHL. We're getting vectored like we're number one for the runway and then we end up doing a 20-mile final. In the meantime, I've already made the PA and everybody is sitting in the back bored to death... Oh well, what are you going to do?

It seems like with airplanes that have the "Electronic Devices" sign instead of "No Smoking", it works better. I know for us that's a 10,000' checklist item, along with the sterile. So even if you make the landing PA, you might still have a little time before the light comes on.

It seems to me that the majors are worse about any of that than the regionals. At least when I was commuting, anyway.

If you are travelling in uniform, try this approach - be nice. Raise our profession by being the kind of professional who can answer a question with a smile. Don't we all like it when kids point at us in uniform and say "look, a pilot, that is what I want to be."

Used to be that pilots were all over third grade bulletin boards. Now the Firemen have a commanding lead. Lets take it back.

Used to be that pilots were paid commensurate with their training and qualifications as well. ;)

I say let's all stay off the list of third grader's heroes and high-school student's dream jobs. Perhaps then we'll have a shot at someday earning a more appropriate wage.

Garbagemen figured this out a long time ago.

Since I've started commuting, I've noticed quite a few FA's don't even notice when people still have their little ear buds on.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back