• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I am convinced I'm stuck

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Alaska is phenomenal from what I hear if you don't mind the cold and are in to the outdoors. I used to know a pilot that flew DC-3s up there.....he would show me pictures he had taken......unreal! They looked like postcards.....actually, they looked almost computer generated they were so clear.....pristine looking air and surroundings........I am just not into cold......or never-ending light and dark days/nights.

Allegiant starting $32K yr

Iand I have been getting insider help from alot of folks around, but the HR folks are the ones that make the calls, and these are few and far between.. vast and diverse experience with a ADX license along with a $1.49 gets a 20 oz coke anymore.. they just dont seem to want experience anymore, it is an anchor..

I agree with you that experience is an anchor I have been on interviews at Airtran, Allegiant and Republic in the last 3 years and none of them are really looking at a dispatcher with experience. They want the fresh meat right out of school. I hate that you apply to airlines and you have some shumck in HR that passes your application over because they dont know what a dispatcher does and what the license means.

Dunno what you mean about Airtran in that aspect. My fellow hirees and I had 33 years experience between the 3 of us.

bgaviator...ugh!!!

I will try to refrain from a tirade...

Considering the hundreds, perhaps thousands of dispatchers, most working but many not....I find myself being exasperated by these never ending posts by bgaviator whereby HE and HE ALONE is dissatisfied by his career standing....as if life is perfect for all the rest of us...

So self pitying....He seems to think if just networks enough, a juicy job will drop out of the sky onto his apparently pointy head.....

I truly wish he would someday contribute something to the group...instead of just trying to take away some opportunity for himself....

I gotta say....I have been and am, in a position to recommend people for hire....guarantee that I would make sure his application is rejected.....

Stop with the ME, ME, ME bro....you are truly alienating people!!!

aviator202

I dont see how he alienated people considering this topic is 3 pages long with a lot of people in the same situation.

You cant fault him for wanting to get into a better situation in this industry. Sure it would be great if it just improved across the board for all of us, but that just isn't how the world goes. You need to take the opportunities given to you and run with them.

With that though, I wish all of us the best in our careers. With all the airline consolidation, increased work load and lowering pay standards it is now or never for us to stick together and just help each other out instead of bashing one for wanting to make better for his/her family.

:)

Yeah...We ALL have families...We ALL want to better our situations...

I wouldn't mind if this guy had asked once or twice...or even three times...but it is chronic with him.

Many, many good and sincere people on this board have, out of the kindness of their hearts, given him good advice...but he's picky, very picky...it had to be just so or...no, not what he wants....Look at the helpful post by another dispatcher to him about a position in Alaska...nope, nope nope....too cold for him...or too dark or too light or whatever...

No humility on his part...and as I see it, little gratitude for pearls of wisdom.

I wrote to him and suggested he better his lot by becoming involved with his union...you know, the old philosophy of improving things right where you are...did he do this?...nope, nope, nope...THAT would have taken effort on his part...can't do that...nope, nope, nope...he wants to walk into a great situation that is already set up after SOMEONE ELSE has done all the heavy lifting...

Lots of folks on the forum have treated him with respect and helpful gestures...including myself....

My view bgaviator, bring something USEFUL to the discussion next time you post...or at least, spare us your begging for the group to provide you with an opportunity....

Time for bgaviator to provide help in return for the consideration shown him...after all, he has five years experience...he is hardly a newbie....

You have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to you saying I am ungrateful and don't take people's advice. So what if I don't want to live in Alaska after someone suggests it? What, am I supposed to say, "hey, thanks for that tip! I'll pack my stuff right now without any regard to how my family would feel about it, or what opportunities there might be for my wife to get a job!" Gimme a break!
And in regards to my union.....I took your advice.....I ask our union rep all the time about things that are going on, or things that we should try to improve. Until he steps down, there is little I can do!!!!
And so what if I post more times than you personally would like? Just don't respond! If you can only be hateful towards me, then just say nothing! The industry always changes....companies change.....hiring times change......so what if I want to start a fresh topic after a few months to see where the current state of things are?
That really bothers you that much, especially after it creates 3 pages worth of discussion, from other people that feel the same way no less?

Yes, I have taken everyone's advice seriously, regardless if you feel somehow I that I'm picky or whatever. You don't know me, you don't know my skills, you don't know my work ethic. So quit trying to be some politician who tries to define the opponent before they have a chance to define themselves.

I am done on this forum.....not out of fear that someone is going to kill my prospects of getting hired on somewhere, but that you can't even be friendly, and start a meaningful discussion about anything without some random person coming along and ripping you to shreds for it. I choose to surround myself with positive, progressive thinking people.....not people who get joy out of cyber bashing people because they are protected in the world of the internet. Thank you to those of you who have engaged in positive conversation with me. I assure I have taken all your advice seriously, and have done significant research. I'm so glad I dropped $10 some time ago to get bashed by some of these fools. What a shame, what a waste.

Some of you are nothing more than cyber bullies, that's all you are. You may be older, and have more experience, but that doesn't mean you're more mature, and better than me as a dispatcher or human being in general. You are not professional. A professional doesn't have to cyber attack others. A professional doesn't have to threaten another person with making sure their resume doesn't go far in their company. And if that's the kind of person you are, then I don't want to work with you anyways, nor for your company if it is filled with nothing more than people like yourselves.
Someday I may be in a position to help some of you out, and I certainly will to those who have shown me respect. For the others.....get educated, find a wife, get a life, get bent.

I've heard mixed reviews on the transition to rail; some like it, some don't. I recently interviewed with Norfolk Southern on the recommendation of a couple of former pilots I used to work with who are both there now (one is management, the other is a dispatcher). I didn't get the position this time, as the candidate pool was apparently very tough; but I was encouraged to try again, as they said I was well qualified. My biggest concern was more emotional rather than technical...I'm an aviation guy through and through, and I've never had any fascination with trains whatsoever. The idea of being immersed in a world where I must learn tons of new things that I've never cared about before, and spend thousands of hours in that world over the next 10-15 years, was a little intimidating. But the pilot who now works dispatch said he thought I could do the job without question, and the pay was far better than any airline dispatch job that I've seen in many years (short of getting on at a major, but we all know how easy that is these days). Still a viable option for those interested. I intend to keep trying, as I believe that is a far better avenue to provide for my family and eventual retirement than I'll ever see in the airline biz. Hurts to say it, but that's the reality I see.

I have said this to many of people I was a DX for a large regional doing well good money for the cost of living etc. And wanted to take a job with a Major but in the ramp tower. My mom helped me answer the question at hand. It was this " I LOVED MY JOB DISPATCHING !!!!" That I already knew I was good at it and I had respect. The tower job would be fun etc but when it came down to it she asked me how many people can say the LOVE their job? Why fix whats not broken. I stayed were I belonged.

Latest resources

Back