I am convinced I'm stuck

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's not that hard.

I feel like I'm being punished for not have gotten a ramper job with Southwest or Fedex back in the day.....

Back in the day? You could get hired at FedEx 6-12 months from now if you really wanted to.

Anyone can. It's widely known that FedEx only hires internally- That's how it works, plain and simple. Play the game and work as a ramper or package handler for a few months. FedEx hires dispatchers about twice a year, and if you've got previous dispatch experience, you're pretty much guaranteed to get an interview.

Christmas is right around the corner, and there's a pretty good chance that various ramps will be hiring additional help with the increased volume of christmas packages being shipped.

Take a step backwards now, and launch yourself forward in the near future.

Back in the day? You could get hired at FedEx 6-12 months from now if you really wanted to.

Anyone can. It's widely known that FedEx only hires internally- That's how it works, plain and simple. Play the game and work as a ramper or package handler for a few months. FedEx hires dispatchers about twice a year, and if you've got previous dispatch experience, you're pretty much guaranteed to get an interview.

Christmas is right around the corner, and there's a pretty good chance that various ramps will be hiring additional help with the increased volume of christmas packages being shipped.

What is insulting is having to step back to do something you already do. I don't believe qualified dx should have to kiss ass or do something else to get into dx with a good company. These places hire externally for virtually any other position, they can do the same with dx.

He is to lazy to do that. Instead he just comes on here and whines! Geez it gets old fast!

Anyway, how are you doing PTG? And someone mentioned you having a birthday sometime around today... What does that make ya, 75? LOL

it's not whining....it's trying to get insight as to what I can be doing better to get to where I want to be and on the state of the industry from people that may know more than me

Last edited:
He is to lazy to do that. Instead he just comes on here and whines! Geez it gets old fast!

Anyway, how are you doing PTG? And someone mentioned you having a birthday sometime around today... What does that make ya, 75? LOL

Oh, and before you assume I am lazy....a search on airline codes listed two different airlines as EY, both Etihad and Eagle Air, thus why I asked the question to make sure we were talking about the correct airline.

Back in the day....like when I was in college and could do a part-time job.

Don't think I haven't looked at it, I have taken all the advice I get from everyone of you seriously.

I have an ex co-worker that works at the FedEx ramp here, and he's gone over the shifts if they were hiring, and it doesn't even work out with my job to where I could even do it, thus I would have to quit dispatching just to be able to work as a ramper at FedEx. I can just imagine the conversation now...."Honey, I'd like your full support in me trying to get a ramp job part-time with FedEx so that I might get a job as a dispatcher there. We may not be able to afford diapers for our son, or health insurance, but we gotta take that chance."

I appreciate the advice you've given me over the months, but I've played this scenario out, and I just don't see it going over too well.

Real World no BS

I got my dispatch license in 2003 and I have worked at 2 regionals and 1 cargo carrier. When I left dispatching in 2007 and tried to get back into it in 2009 it was IMPOSSIBLE to do so.

That working at FDX in hopes of getting on in dispatch is a pipe dream, there are so many people that are already in the system that are doing just that I know of 4 right now that have been working for FDX for more than 2 years, still waiting.

Look at other ways to use your dispatch license I have been in Airport Operations at ORD for 3 years now I am not saying that it is as fun as dispatching but at least you are at the airport instead of a office with no windows (LOL) and also most times you are working for the airport itself so, no flight benefits but the job is stable I think that the job pays alot more than dispatching at a regional does.

Look into dispatching lifeflight helicopters it is quote unquote a flight follower but I think that companies like this have to call us that because they really dont require them. Most have good medical benefits and schedules are 7 on 7 off

When I got out of dispatch school in 2003 I thought the same thing that you did I got my ticket sky is the limit. As you have found out things are not as they seem.

Any more questions PM me

clr4theapch I agree with you the schools do promise the 6 figures but I have yet to see them, nowadays looks like dispatchers are getting stuck in the regionals.

I may not be as seasoned as you but I know what you mean it looks like if you get out of dispatch and you have some years with a regional forget about getting back in. Looks like companies want the younger crowd.

I think that the key is looking to other ways to use our license.

I can't claim to have done an extensive, nation-wide search of all EMS operations, but I've tried a few over the past couple of years. I even got my EMT certification in hopes that it would make me more marketable, and I also thought the 2006 NTSB recommendation that they staff communications centers with more dispatch-licensed people might boost my chances.

But so far, no dice; it seems that the EMS business is very insular. They would rather hire a guy they know who used to run with their ambulance company because "he's a good guy and a good paramedic", instead of a guy who understands aviation weather, aircraft performance, FAA regs, etc. I did work for one operator for a few months (casual status), and the lack of aviation knowledge was stunning. Despite the fact that they're dispatching helicopters in the middle of the night in marginal weather, they still value the medical skills and knowledge more highly than the ability to anticipate the pilot's needs and provide accurate and timely information. I guess the only consolation is that most of these places still only pay slightly better than the average regional airline, so it's not like you're going to get rich. There was also the typical issue that you face with the airlines....they are often located in expensive areas (i.e., Falls Church, VA), while not paying NEARLY enough to make it work.

Not trying to be Dr. Gloom...just passing along what I've seen.

Look into dispatching lifeflight helicopters it is quote unquote a flight follower but I think that companies like this have to call us that because they really dont require them. Most have good medical benefits and schedules are 7 on 7 off

A family friend of mine who has his ADX got into the oil business at an oil refinery near Houston monitoring the systems and petroleum movement within the factory. He got out of the aviation business years ago and has been there since while making a decent living it seems.

How to find jobs like that though, I have no idea.

Then there is the rail option, but even that has been pretty shaky at times.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back