Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dave Benjamin

an over 40 victim of fate
A vocal anti-union pilot is advancing a theory that ALPA will be very unhealthy for SkyWest pilots. His theory is that if SkyWest pilots certified ALPA that the ASA MEC would file a single carrier petition to force integration. He further postulates that the petition would be granted and integration would take place with terms unfavorable to SkyWest pilots.

So here's a few questions for ASA folks:

Do you think your leadership would pursue integration if SkyWest pilots certified ALPA? Any particular reason why or why not?

Would you personally hope for integration?

Would integrating be good in the long term as it would prevent the possibility of whipsawing?

I'd appreciate it if we can limit responses to folks that actually fly for ASA.

ALPA didn't have any luck with getting Comair and ASA combined so I wonder if an ASA/Skywest attempt would meet with the same success.

Based on the arguments here that include hiring numbers in the past few years, I believe DOH integration would to work well for me. That being said, as long as we aren't played against each other I don't really care about being integrated right now. A better choice of bases and better looking FAs would be nice though.

Delta attempted to play ASA and Comair against each other and I won't expect anything different from Skywest (the holding company). As long as we are separate the threat of whipsaw is there. I think ASA has been pretty good so far at not playing into the whipsaw game and will continue to hold the line, assuming there is a a good faith effort by Skywest to do the same. The pilots at Skywest must decide if a union is right for them, but a union vote would likely make many at ASA a bit more confident in your willingness to fight whipsaw.

Dave Benjamin said:
A vocal anti-union pilot is advancing a theory that ALPA will be very unhealthy for SkyWest pilots. His theory is that if SkyWest pilots certified ALPA that the ASA MEC would file a single carrier petition to force integration. He further postulates that the petition would be granted and integration would take place with terms unfavorable to SkyWest pilots..

>>So here's a few questions for ASA folks:<<

>>Do you think your leadership would pursue integration if SkyWest pilots certified ALPA? Any particular reason why or why not?<<
There have been no talks about a single list at this time.

>>Would you personally hope for integration?<<
At some point I think both side need to look at the option.

>>Would integrating be good in the long term as it would prevent the possibility of whipsawing?<<
Intergration would benefit both the pilots and management. Reduce overhead by reducing double management positions. Pilots, more choices to live, less commuting for some.

>>A vocal anti-union pilot is advancing a theory that ALPA will be very unhealthy for SkyWest pilots.<<

Most people are scared of the unknown. ALPA is more than a contract. How does he know what the pilot group wants?

>>His theory is that if SkyWest pilots certified ALPA that the ASA MEC would file a single carrier petition to force integration.<<

How does he know what we want? He doesn't even know what your pilot group wants. Didn't the last attempt to bring ALPA in fail by a thin number?

>>He further postulates that the petition would be granted and integration would take place with terms unfavorable to SkyWest pilots.<<

This guy seems to know everything. Is his name Cliff Clavin?

This is what it boils down to. After the deal is finalized, reps from both pilot groups should get together and meet. Talk about issues and ask questions about the unknowns to each group such as the issues you have brought up.
The key to being successful is communicating your ideas.

Texx>>[i said:
Intergration would benefit both the pilots and management. Reduce overhead by reducing double management positions. Pilots, more choices to live, less commuting for some.[/i]

Right. Management cut backs in the airline industry. HA ha ha

ha

ha,ha,ha,ha

hee, hee

ha

ha

haaaaaa

:cool:I have to agree with Texx. One pilot group is MUCH BETTER than two. With one, NO whipsawing! I don't think any of us want that! One voice makes a lot more noise than separate small ones!
If not this, I surely hope and pray that atleast the pilot leaders of BOTH companies will get together and COMMUNICATE!!!!!! I cannot overemphasize this enough!!! Please guys....Please....COMMUNICATE!!!

DC has upper management aspirations. Just wish he'd be man enough to admit it and quit acting like he is for the pilots.

Gobi Gred said:
DC has upper management aspirations. Just wish he'd be man enough to admit it and quit acting like he is for the pilots.

Amen Brother Gobi Gred....................

BTW.................Gojay Hawks.................................

AF :cool:

Tomct said:
:cool:I have to agree with Texx. One pilot group is MUCH BETTER than two. With one, NO whipsawing! I don't think any of us want that! One voice makes a lot more noise than separate small ones!
If not this, I surely hope and pray that atleast the pilot leaders of BOTH companies will get together and COMMUNICATE!!!!!! I cannot overemphasize this enough!!! Please guys....Please....COMMUNICATE!!!

Tomct is right, whatever one group does the other group needs to do. 3700 pilots is a big number to deal with as opposed to 1700 and 2000. Together we can make a better QOL for all.

Texx said:
This is what it boils down to. After the deal is finalized, reps from both pilot groups should get together and meet. Talk about issues and ask questions about the unknowns to each group such as the issues you have brought up.

The key to being successful is communicating your ideas.

While I agree that's what SHOULD happen, it simply IS NOT POSSIBLE at this time...and here's why.

SkyWest pilots HAVE NO representation! Period!!! The pseudo PILOT representation organization, known as SAPA, is actually a MANAGEMENT representation organization. SAPA was created by mgmt, for the purposes of mgmt, is paid by mgmt, and makes a practice of unilaterally implementing management initiatives upon the pilot group. If it walks like a duck....well, you know the rest.

Latest resources

Back