• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hypothetical AA/US merger and bases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MIA ain't going anywheres. I think all of the bases will be active, but could see PHL or mebbe CLT being smaller.

DFW and/or MIA could go to another carrier to possibly help fund the merger.....

You just never know......

Bye Bye---General Lee

DFW isn't going anywhere as a base if this merger happens--it's way too big, plus it's the current home of AA, not to mention the proposed home of the combined carrier. Are you having DFW-envy, General? Maybe someday you could have a base there too... Oh, snap! You USED to have a base there, but then abandoned it, now that I think about it...

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Bubba

My bet: Philly and Phoenix reduced at best closed at worst. Clt stays as does DFW. The others probably are safe for a few years but I'm betting 6 big hubs DFW, LAX, NYC, DCA CLT and ORD.

As far as I know LAX is not a big hub fortress hub nor can it be. AA has 18% market share and is gate restrained.

Basic question: do the America West pilots have any way to block/postpone this merger (if it happens) until their arbitration award is fulfilled? Perhaps make it contingent as part of the deal? Can they file an injunction? You can tell I am not a lawyer - that is the extent of my CSI/Law & Order legal knowledge. Something has to be done! I hope the Am West pilots get legal counsel who can ensure they get heard and satisfied in the event things move forward...

There's speculation and then there's facts.

CLT is the weakest O & D hub in the US. RDU & BNA tried and failed. PHX has more domestic O & D than PHL and CLT combined. PHL is a sizeable international gateway but is very close to JFK. PHX & DFW would seem to be geographically redundant. LAX is the second largest air travel market in the US. Draw your own conclusions but "rationalization" is going to come from somewhere.

Last edited:
As far as I know LAX is not a big hub fortress hub nor can it be. AA has 18% market share and is gate restrained.

Which is exactly why PHX isn't going away. A hugh addition to the west coast feed for AA. It may shrink somewhat, but PHX stays.

Wow.

Great discussion.

Hypothetically ..."can someone tell me the Industry Wide load factors and weather forecast for MIA-BOS on July 21, 2015 at 1358Z ? "

Cue Lumberg: " Um, yeah... that would be greeaat. Peter, can you get that to me this weekend? Riiigghhht... thanks for that. "

:)

GMAFB,

Whine

----------------------------------------------------------------------

" Mental Masturbation is WHAT we DO....At FlightInfo.com we don't just Jerk Off....We JERK ALL THE WAY AROUND! 24/7 - 360 Degrees. WORD. "

Last edited:
Sure, unless someone puts a boat load of 717s somewhere, along with MD90s. You just never know.....Just a guess....;)

Spirit has started a build up there, but most routes have one or two flights a day, max. The flight to BOS was an allnighter from DFW, to BOS...?? They are trying, though.

You're right though, AA may not want to give up DFW, but I have heard DFW is looking for a #2, since they were not happy with the results of the AA BK and the toll it took on that airport. We'll see.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Why don't you comment on this while you're at it General:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204573704577187373128520982.html

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back