Hypothetic question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Alin10123

Just a quick hypothetical question that my instructor and i were discussing today. What would you guys do if upon touchdown while landing a big earthquake started right away. Would you full throttle it and get airborne again? Or would you try to set her down as quickly as possible and stop her as quickly as possible?

Also... often times earthquakes not only cause the ground to move side to side, they also move up and down which would create the updraft similar like in the summer time when the heat is radiating out of the ground. Would you feel the earthquake if you were in the air? How high would you feel it until?

This was just a random question that came up while talking with my instructor.

Alin10123 said:
Just a quick hypothetical question that my instructor and i were discussing today. What would you guys do if upon touchdown while landing a big earthquake started right away. Would you full throttle it and get airborne again? Or would you try to set her down as quickly as possible and stop her as quickly as possible?

Also... often times earthquakes not only cause the ground to move side to side, they also move up and down which would create the updraft similar like in the summer time when the heat is radiating out of the ground. Would you feel the earthquake if you were in the air? How high would you feel it until?

If it was an earthquake that caused vampires or zomies to walk the earth, I'd say that a shotgun would be the most effective.

Alin10123 said:

It's all fun and games untill you're the other white meat.

What? You think FEMA is going to save your lilly white ass?

Yes. I would definitely grab me a fistfull O' boomstick.

Id say fly away if you had the fuel. How often are you gonna get to watch an earthquake from above? Then find a spot to put it down thats not too cracked or warped. After that, go get that plasma TV Ive always needed.

Alin10123 said:

You could ask some of the guys who had to deal with it in a non-hypothetical way...In the early 90's there was an earthquake out in CA during the World Series...I've talked to a couple of guys since who were in the takeoff or landing phase, and suddenly ended up "lost comm" because the tower people abandoned ship ;)

Unfortunately, that wasn't part of the discussion, but I would guess that if the ground heaving up caused a bounce, I would go around...if it didn't, I would probably stay on the ground simply because I probably have only an hour's fuel left on board to figure out what's going on and find an alternate landing site.

Fly safe!

David

Alin10123 said:
Just a quick hypothetical question that my instructor and i were discussing today....
If you and your instructor got so much time and energy on your hands, why don't you get down here and save these democrats on dis train?

Maybe you can fly down there and drop off some supplies?

Amtrak Passengers Stranded in Ga. Woods

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) -- A trainload of frustrated passengers has been stuck on an Amtrak train stranded in a patch of woods in south Georgia for more than 24 hours.

Amtrak Train 98 has been stalled near Georgia's border with Florida while engineers wait for a derailed CSX freight train to be removed.

Meanwhile, the train's passengers - including many cash-strapped families headed home from vacations - are getting frustrated.

"We're stuck in the woods," said Eleanor Meyer. "People have ran out of money buying food. This is unbelievable. You have to run to different cars because certain cars have run out of toilet paper."

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back